Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What is applied when a 4L60 is in reverse
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
One thing that strikes me odd is that low gear aka manual 1 is solid as a rock. Could the one way clutch be an issue. I wasn't leaning that way because a very slight delay started about 2 months ago. I have to assume it is a hydraulic issue.
Quote:
My 4L60 developed a delay and now a shutter in reverse.
two different things happening here.

You have a shutter in "R"....... Good holding in "manual 1"

as posted in shifter position "R" the reverse input clutch and the L/R clutch are holding. The "sprag " is NOT holding in "R".... as the sprag does "hold" in "manual 1". The sprag does NOT hold in "R" , so it is not a factor.

You can perform this test: ( as briscoe points out the 'year' of this box can determine how it reacts)

Drive the vehicle to max speed 25 mph.... move the shifter quickly to "manual 1 " as you lift off the gas pedal... Does "manual 1 " quickly take hold and provide engine braking?? IF it delays or seems a bit lazy , you may have a L-R clutch problem. SInce you have a mild shutter problem , this test may show limited results to work with

NEXT:

Quote:
Last but not least the S10 converter which should give me just a little more stall speed.
The S-10 converter for the small V-6 (2.8 liter)engine uses a different input shaft / Spline count setup.

IMHO..... You will not be happy with a S-10 converter behind a V-8 engine.