what bearings are best for blower motor crank? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what bearings are best for blower motor crank?

i am building a stroker 383 with a 671 weiand, i have a new crank and new machined block. i have been looking at bearings and just going through the parts at summit. there are alot of performance bearings and some are grooved, i am not really familiar with bearings and don't know the real purpose of grooves. Its a 1 peice rear main seal.

what is the purpose of a grooved bearing and what is ideal for this application?
what are h and v series bearings and which is better?
thanks
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Hey just wanted to chime in here.

Is this motor for your '68? I just bought a '68 sedan 2spd glide with a 307 Turbo Fire. I'm planning on building a blown motor for it some years down the road.

You'll have to let me know how this goes

Ok thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

sure is, i got a machined block from whites performance in memphis and super happy with them i am goin to get alum heads from them too, i have my 671 weiand and the carbs, fuel, ignition, crank and rods, so i need pistons bearings cam, timing chain and a few little bits, its the little things that will nickle and dime you to death. i had my blower on my 350 for a few weeks but i missed the car show i was trying to get it ready for so i took it all off and decided to build a blower motor up right, if you spend that much money you should do it right. ill post a pic just a sec.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Don't use grooved bearings, only the top ( block side ) halves need bearings, the bottom ( caps ) halves don't, it used to be an old practice buying two sets of bearings to have full circle grooves, but if you do so you diminish the load carrying capacity of the bearing, you are diminishing it's surface, belive, the bottom end of the chevy is great as it comes from the factory.
I always use clevite 77 or michigan 77 bearings, but had great results with TRW also, I forgot the diamond logo brand is it speed pro ?

Augusto.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu68
i am building a stroker 383 with a 671 weiand, i have a new crank and new machined block. i have been looking at bearings and just going through the parts at summit. there are alot of performance bearings and some are grooved, i am not really familiar with bearings and don't know the real purpose of grooves. Its a 1 peice rear main seal.

what is the purpose of a grooved bearing and what is ideal for this application?
what are h and v series bearings and which is better?
thanks
Marc
Talk to your machinist about the bearings. If he is a good one, he will be able to recommend what's best for your build. Trying to learn stuff like that from a Summit catalog is like going to McDonalds and asking the manager who makes the best hamburgers.

Stay away from fully-grooved main bearings. Sealed Power, ACL, and Engine Pro all have 3/4 grooved main bearing in their performance series that I would recommend for any non cross-drilled crankshaft ( I do not recommend a cross-drilled crank anyway).

tom
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

yeah i like looking through parts and finding out what there is so im atleast alittle aware of products and parts
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu73
Hey just wanted to chime in here.

Is this motor for your '68? I just bought a '68 sedan 2spd glide with a 307 Turbo Fire. I'm planning on building a blown motor for it some years down the road.

You'll have to let me know how this goes

Ok thanks!

here is a pic with the old engine but you get to see what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 274.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	20865  
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu68
here is a pic with the old engine but you get to see what it looks like
Got the coupe huh, nice. Looks to be in real good condition

I'm going to make mine a sleeper for now, all stock appearing besides new paint and wheels. Even gonna cut the exhaust off short so you can't see if from the back. Taking a lot of parts from my '73 then hauling it off for scrap.

As soon as I get it going I'm going to start a project journal. Nice to see other '68 malibu's
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

yeah when i got it, it was in a barn for 16 years. Rusted to crap. needed new rear quarters and inner and outter wheel wells, paint was done and i had alot of chrome taken off, I am not a purist i build my car for myself and what i want. i think that is very important. but yes its taken alot of money and alot of hours but as everyone will tell you its a labour of love, keeps me sane
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

On the blower engines we build we have always used the Clevite V-series bearings with great results.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.