What is best front suspension set up for 53 Catalina - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is best front suspension set up for 53 Catalina

I have a 53 Pontiac Catalina Custom 2dr Hrtp. I want to sub frame the front and install 400 Pont engine and 350 turbo. Any advise on what would be best to use, TCI , Fatman, Camaro, Mustang ll ? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just my 2 sense, that car is heavy and has a big frame, the front end more then likely will handle a 400, heck it has a 389 now correct, just bump the front spring rate up some and give the front end a good rebuild, bushing, ball joints. These TCI , Fatman, Camaro, Mustang ll clips are puny, there could be a 1000 pounds of weight difference between the pony and a camaro or mustake, probably more. I am after all not an expert, but I do know the size of that pony you want to slide a 400 into and it is no camaro/mustake.

Just somethings to consider, nice car they were good looking in 53 and are even better today.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

pontiac suspensions

I think your front end is still a king pin spindle design. I saw a post a while back where someone modified the stock lower arm with an adaptor and used chevy astro van spindles, brakes and upper a arms. There is a wiki article here on HR about using various Gm suspension parts from the 30's thru 60's to upgrade but I think the required parts would be very hard to find, some were only for one year.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The '53 Catalina came with a 239 inch 6 or 268 inch straight 8 cylinder, 118-122 h.p. depending on what trans it came with. The 389 made it's debut in 1959.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I've got a 54 2dr post car I need to do fairly soon so I hope you get some good information as I'll be doing the same. Anything thats been done to a 50-54 chev should work as the cars are not that different. I've got a frame clip off a firebird I'am looking at.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

clip

if your gonna clip it go with a 70s camaro /firebird subframe much stronger than a mustang set up and alot cheaper to do
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Unless you really want power steering, a good rebuild would do wonders. Bolt on disc brakes are available also from Scarebird. It also upgrades to tapered wheel bearings on factory spindles.

If clipping I would use a rear steer 67-69 Camero/Firebird or 68-74 Nova/Ventura subframe since yours is rear steer-gearbox behind axle centerline . The front steer subframes would be alot more work plus the steering gearbox would be about the spot of the factory radiator. Plus the front steer frames have a wider track width than stock where the earlier rear steer frames are about the same.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.