What is the best way to build a rat rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question What is the best way to build a rat rod

Everyone ............ what is the best way to start a Rat Rod. i have become more and more interested in rat rods. what is the best way to start one. right now i have a 1951 ford custom deluxe but i wanna street rod that. i also want to built a cool rat rod any info helps thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here's my definition of a rat rod: You find an old beat up..let's say a 32 chevy sedan. It's basically stripped of all running gear, missing a lot but it's still a car. A buddys got a wrecked camaro, sells you the running gear for 100 bucks. There's a swap meet radiator out of an old dodge, shell and all, affordable, 50 bucks. You could wait for the right parts, but you're tired of riding the bike to school, taking the bus, being without some cool wheels, so you take what you have, and make it work. Paint, maybe later, can't drive it if I'm trying to tear it down for paint. Upholstery? The blanket over the old seat works fine. Puke tank, here's a tall bud can. A rat rod is basic transportation. Nothing fancy, you just want a set of wheels. Dan
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

Rat Rod... Product of a fertile mind, empty pockets, recycled parts and desire to ride!!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Rat Rod... Product of a fertile mind, empty pockets, recycled parts and desire to ride!!

That sounds like all my vehicles.....................and my mind is fertile.....it's full of *****............................

Budget RVs
Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

If you still aren't sure about the definition of a Rat Rod by now, I'd suggest that you go to www.madfabricators.com . The volume one video is a good source for Rat Rod ideas (with some long winded and somewhat boring interveiws) but if you don't want to purchase the video, just watch the trailer a couple of times, the clubs that are on this video, eat, drink and sleep the Rat Rod lifestyle!!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

what are you going to start with?

Your project (30's or 40's or even a 50's ride) will cost some to start with but if you scrounge used parts where you can it will be a true rat.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Also, you can't "street rod" a 51 ford, cut off is '48.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Well, if we go by those terms, than you cant street-rod a fiberglass built replica of a 32 Ford.

Rat Rods come from back in the 50's and 60's when hotrodding started. If you wanna know more about it, here's the whole story
http://www.gregburch.net/cars/hotrod.html

Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Rat Rod

True you can't street rod a 51, but , you can Rat Rod it !

It would actually make a good Rat Rod. Black Primer, Pair of dueces on the flathead, you have to put a floor shift in it, preferably an old Fenton unit , if you can find one, Smitty's and dual exhaust ,Moon discs, A mexican blanket, and some pinstriping and of course, lower it, set of dropped spindles, and a set of blocks for the rear. Then you have a very close rendition of an early 50's High School Hot Rod, Which is what a Rat Rod Is in todays terminology.

depending on whichever set you want to be associated with you can hang a set of fuzzy duice, or a shrunken head or a skull from the rear view mirror, there's a lot of different pieces that are available in todays market, but if I was informed correctly by the current "leaders" of the Rat Rod Resurgance, all the parts have to be original 50's stuff (to be true to the "cause") Just have fun and build it SAFE
Old 01-29-2005, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nightfire
[B]Well, if we go by those terms, than you cant street-rod a fiberglass built replica of a 32 Ford.

I agree, but the NSRA allows them, I guess because they know that the only way the hobby can grow is if they find a new source of "old" cars. I feel that they should be kept in a seperate class, but the powers have spoken. But if you show up at a street rod event in a steel or glass 51 ford, you aint gettin' in. That's all I was saying. Call it a hotrod, call it a street machine, call it a kustom, but according to the rule book, don't call it a street rod.
I have a---
39 pontiac coupe 400, 350, camaro front nova rear- STREET ROD

53 studebaker coupe 355, 350 custom suspension lincoln rear--- STREETMACHINE?

53 chevy hdtp converted to convertible chopped lowered frenched etc 350 350 camaro sub nova rear ---KUSTOM

36 ford truck chopped 6" channelled 4" extended 4" set back on frame 11" not finished yet, but ---STREET ROD\RAT ROD

2 of my cars are cool with the NSRA, and 2 aren't, that's all

Now you're talkin' starlite. My stude isn't finished yet, but I may just prime it and throw in a rough interior, some hub caps and some stickers. Instead of a rat rod though, I like to call that high school style. Like we drove in the sixties. Though if you look under it, it's obvious that it's no high school car.
My only problem with the so called rat rod trend is that guys might think it's cool to drive unsafe cars and end up messing things up for the rest of us.

Last edited by roddinron; 01-29-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:35 AM

Rat rod-plain and simple,as cheap as possible.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

search for the thread titled rat rod
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 PM

rat rod
50 ford

Last edited by cantspel; 02-04-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Rat rod!

Hey what do ya know? I had a Rat Rod and didn't even know it! '68 Chev 1/2 ton with SBC, primerpaint and baloon tires! The whole thing cost less than a grand to build. Sold it even cheaper.

I'm new here. Most of my experience (for the last 10 years I guess) is with British cars (Minis, Coopers...) I'm just starting to re-kindle my interest in Classic American rods, specifically Rat Rods. I am an apprentice mechanic, currently doing casual work for a Chrysler dealership. Spent 2 years at GM.
Before that, I worked for close to 20 years in radio (D.J. mostly)

Names Bill, call me Gromit if it's easier

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:40 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If you are more into cars than labels and the culture then just forget the word rat rod and build a car like you want to. Study and be aware of styling cues so you don't do something that's just plain goofy like those cars being built on compact pickup frames with the radiator 2 feet out in front of the tires. Don't try to reinvent the wheel either. You might want to find something that's half done already. It can save you a lot of money and time. There are quite a few builders that throw a body and chassis together and sell the "roller"

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.