what body panel epoxy to use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what body panel epoxy to use

ive never used this before but im always looking for something new to try. i am hot rodding a 70 mgb gt with a sebring body kit, i need to attach the fiberglass body panels to the metal shell after cutting her up. is an epoxy the best product to use? i am a beginer in this subject to any tips or products would be a great help. thanks alot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RED MGB GT WITH HUGE TIRESW.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	15591  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM

What Epoxy to use

Hi, I have worked with epoxy in composite construction. Recently I used a high grade high temp epoxy to both eliminate any future rust issues as well as to repair some floor boards with an glass/carbon weave on my Jeep J10. Carbon is three times stronger than steel by weight when curred with epoxy. Although I could have cut and welded in new sections the original problem of rusting in these prone areas would still have existed. Epoxy coating will stop rust dead solving the problem. I am really partial to using epoxy, but consider these facts.

You can use epoxy on polyester(fiberglass) but not the other way around: Epoxy is said to bond with fiberglass/polyester, but polyester will not bond to cured epoxy. Only epoxy can be used on carbon fiber and bullet resistant fibers.

Bondo is a polyester based product.

You may want to attach your body kit with fiberglass if your going to put any bondo over the epoxy.

Epoxy is much nicer to work with but more expensive. You can mix your own kind of epoxy bondo if you want.
Generally epoxy is a superior bonding agent.

Take a look at this web site. Lots of great info and prices.
www.epoxyproducts.com

Once you work with epoxy you generally just don't want to work with polyester again.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Balsaboy.... I guess you're only talking about epoxy adheasives then you say that you cannot use Polyester over epoxy? It's my understanding that several of the auto manufacturers require body repairs to start with epoxy primer on bare metal, before bodyfiller is added. I also would not recommend banking on an epoxy to stop rust in it's tracks. If rust is there, it should be removed, not covered up with some epoxy product.

Aaron
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 PM

What epoxy to use

Well, goes to show I don't know as much as I used to.

Your right, remove as much rust as possible. However, rust is only capable of formation if oxygen and H2o can access metal. Epoxy does stop rust. All rust inhibitors and so-called rust stopping products are based on creating an Oxygen Water Vapor Barrier, they all act the same in this respect. At least as I understand the issue at this time.

I don't know anything about epoxy primers before bondo. Again, the metal is exposed to potential rusting with only bondo and paint to act as a barrier. How these primers interact with polyester based bondo to form a lasting bond is not something I have investigated.

However:
Generally, for example, you could say repair a hole in your fiberglass boat with epoxy and glass cloth. You might do so simply because epoxy is so much nicer to deal with. It generally does not stink and cleans up with alcohol. On the other hand, it would not be recommended to repair the wing of your homebuilt aircraft with fiberglass and polyester. One, polyester eats foam which is ofter structural in aircraft, and, two, it will not bond to the epoxy based glass wing. This is very too bad at most unforgiving times, usually while flying. Hence, we do not use polyester to repair or bond anything to epoxy. Sure there are fiberglass polyester wings and you repair those with polyester and glass. The point is, you use epoxy on epoxy based products, and polyester on polyester based products. Except for the example I started with you should stay with the base resin if possible. These are not written in stone. You can, for example carve or sand a plug from foam and use bondo to create the hard surface in order to pull a mold to construct a fiberglass product.

Now, like I said, "you can use" epoxy to attach your glass panels, at least as far as know, but I would recommend sending a specific email to the folks I mentioned. I did and they responded right away. Epoxies are used for many different applications.
They are heat curable with various hardness specific to applications.
They can also be softened by heat. All epoxies are not the same.
Ask the experts, you don't want your panels flying off at 100mph.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

Fusor makes a product designed for installations like this and I've never seen a failure with it. Go to fusor's website and look around or I can get the part number for you. Bob
Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 PM
boatbob2

fastening panels.............

Hi,3 M makes a caulking called 3m 5200,ive used this product for the last 10 years.it is gooey?? to work with. roughen up panel,and metal car body with 40 grit paper BY HAND, put tube into caulking gun,squeeze handle,place a good coat on the glass panel and a little on body metal ,spread evenly,YOU MUST FASTEN THE 2 PARTS TOGETHER SECURELY. i dont know about using this in cold weather (im in north florida (eat your hearts out yankee dogs) it will take 4 0r 5 days to set up good. but i personally guarantee that it will NOT come loose,even in 150 mph wind. (ive used it on airplanes) the only drawback,is the time it takes to set up. a caulking tube costs around $10.00 at home depot. if you need to remove it,take your lunch,maybe dinner too... clean up with acetone,BEFORE it sets up. im Boatbob2
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

ill try both and see what works better, or just what works for my own future reference.thanks alot

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.