Hot Rod Forum banner

What is this box and why is it on my Camaro?

738 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
I just purchased this Camaro a few months back and I am wondering what this box is for that is mounted on my inner fender well. The positive cable is what you see going into the box, and then the cable coming out goes to the positive terminal on the battery. I'm assuming the two smaller gauge wires used to go to the starter. Inside the box is a relay and a fuse. Why would someone have put this here?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For most of the mid-seventies SBCs, the positive battery cable goes directly to the starter, and there are two smaller wires with fusible links (just like yours in the picture) that feed power up from that point to the rest of the vehicle. It looks like they moved the power junction up from the starter to a more convenient point on the fender.

There are also conversion kits to move the starter solenoid up to the fenderwell or firewall, to get it away from the exhaust heat. However, that box does not look big enough to hold a standard size GM or Ford starter solenoid.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.