What brand of battery float charger? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What brand of battery float charger?

I cannot remember the brand name of the float charger I saw this morning on TV. The show was "two guys garage" and they were showing a float charger. It was bright blue. For some reason I'm thinking of "battery buddy" but can't seem to get any hits on it. Anyone know it?

Thanks.
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Last photo:

I have been using the Battery Tender for about 20 years now and I love them. Got one on my generator, the 34, battery that powers all my R/C chargers, and had one on my motorcycle (don't do that any longer)

Vince
Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks Vince, that may have been the one they were pushing. I'll ck it out. My '86 with the cabover sits for months between runs. Today, battery cranked the starter for about a minute just short of starting, then croaked. The aux battery stays up better but is not hooked up to crank.

Mark
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, I picked up a Battery Tender JR. today at Pep Boys. Got it wired up in my '86 that sits and sits. Also installed a brand new battery and almost new (from my trailer) deep cycle.

I (this may be rather confusing) have a charging solenoid on the firewall that sends voltage TO the deep cycle once it's running. One large terminal goes to the main starting battery. The same terminal also has the ALT. wire on it. The OTHER large wire goes (when activated) to the DC battery.

I hooked the Battery Tender to ground and to the large terminal that has the main battery on it. I then made a jumper out of a fuse holder that is mounted to that same terminal and put an alligator clip on the other end so I can "jump" between both large lugs on the solenoid and charge both at one time while it's sitting out back for months on end. (my expert battery friend said it would be OK that way) If both are down equal, each will get a 3/8 Ah (1/2 of the 750mah charger rating) charge and as one comes up more, it will shift more charge to the other. (that's what he says anyways) I put a 5 amp fuse in the jumper just in case I forget to unhook it and crank it and it tries to pull from the DC battery. That way, I won't burn up my wiring if the main battery is down, i'll just blow a 10 cent fuse.

I was going to buy two of the chargers but after talking to my friend, I decided to try one for now and see if it works.

Anyway, the DC is on the bench getting fully charged and the main battery is still coming up on the tender. Sure hope this ends my dead battery problem!

If you'd like a picture of this wiring mess, let me know! LOL

Mark
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Mark,

I have installed several of these battery isolators in dual battery applications. It is electronically controlled, for starting, and charging while running. You can have your battery tender hooked up and charging the main battery while not in use. It will switch to the battery with the most charge for cranking, and then switch between both batteries, keeping both batteries charged.

The first one I installed, I used a dead battery for the main battery. It would not crank over, so I turned the key off, and back over to crank. It switched to the second battery and cranked over and started.

It's easy to install, without a wiring mess, or having to turn a manual selector switch.

http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/sp-1314.htm
Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That's pretty cool! I had a Sure Start isolator to begin with but did not like the voltage drop that the diodes cause. I talked to my buddy (he does this stuff all the time at work) and he suggested a similar setup that you show. He has his truck set up like that. 'Cept he has two STARTING batteries, but mine is one starting and one deep cycle for the cabover. It has lights, refer and water pump.

I dumped the "isolator" in favor for the solenoid instead. No more voltage drop.

I just checked it and the light is green! That's a good sign!
Checked the DC and it's up so it's going back in the truck tomorrow and I'll see if the charger will keep both up. If not, i'll get another one for the DC.

I also have a marine starting battery to keep up. Has anyone used the float charger from Harbor Freight? Cheap at 7 bucks but don't want to burn the shop down either.

Last edited by Jmark; 12-26-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I had never heard of these "Battery Tenders" before, but 750 mah sounds pretty feeble in this neck of the woods. I believe that many folks hook up a 2-amp charger just to keep a batter warm on those really frigid nights.

I'd be more inclined to spend a little more for a fully automatic battery charger that would be capable of charger at a higher rate IF NEEDED.

Something like one of Clore Automotive's Pro-Logix line?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:50 AM

The Ctek is what I use on all my cars! http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx

And I just got the big one for my shop.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
I had never heard of these "Battery Tenders" before, but 750 mah sounds pretty feeble in this neck of the woods. I believe that many folks hook up a 2-amp charger just to keep a batter warm on those really frigid nights.

I'd be more inclined to spend a little more for a fully automatic battery charger that would be capable of charger at a higher rate IF NEEDED.

Something like one of Clore Automotive's Pro-Logix line?
I agree, that in colder climates, a little more amperage would help with the battery temp. Only problem is, in warmer weather, a "trickle charger" (like my old one), doesn't shut off, it just keeps going and going at 1.5amps. Early on, I did not know much and just about burned down a few batteries using it. Left it on too long.

Checker and AZ both sell a 1.5 "maintance" charger (Schumacher brand ) that does shut off when the battery is full. I debated on that one for a while but opted for the BT on Vince's suggestion. You have to be careful too as a lot of the "fully automatic" charges never do turn off. They get down to a very low rate but keep going and can overheat and boil out a battery over time.

If I was in a much colder climate (crap! It's 28 this morning here!) I would have given the Schumacher a try because of the higher rate.

Mark
Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
I also have a marine starting battery to keep up. Has anyone used the float charger from Harbor Freight? Cheap at 7 bucks but don't want to burn the shop down either.
I have 3 of those Harbor Freight float chargers, modifed with cigar lighter plugs where the battery clamps go. That way I just plug them into the cigar lighter sockets in my vehicles. They do a great job in keeping the batteries hot when the vehicles sit for awhile.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Last photo:

I have a real problem with leaving an electronic device (float charger) from HF hooked up unattended for long periods of time . Call me paranoid, but even though the Battery Tenders are probably made in China also I feel at least the company has given them the quality test. HF electronics have at best a shady history...remember the auto fuses that would not blow .

Vince
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I have a real problem with leaving an electronic device (float charger) from HF hooked up unattended for long periods of time . Call me paranoid, but even though the Battery Tenders are probably made in China also I feel at least the company has given them the quality test. HF electronics have at best a shady history...remember the auto fuses that would not blow .

Vince
I agree, the Battery Tender is a proven brand. I remember them from when I was a kid in the 60's. The other trick around here was to run a drop light witha 40 or 60 W bulb and leave it next to the battery to keep it warm. Keeping the battery temperature above 60 can make a huge difference in cranking power. I forget the exact # but at 30 degrees the battery only has like 25% of its normal capacity. It doesnt get as cold here as it does in some parts of the country but it does get chilly. It was 5 when I went out this am.

Chet
Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
I agree, the Battery Tender is a proven brand. I remember them from when I was a kid in the 60's. The other trick around here was to run a drop light witha 40 or 60 W bulb and leave it next to the battery to keep it warm. Keeping the battery temperature above 60 can make a huge difference in cranking power. I forget the exact # but at 30 degrees the battery only has like 25% of its normal capacity. It doesnt get as cold here as it does in some parts of the country but it does get chilly. It was 5 when I went out this am.
There certainly are differences in AH ratings at different temperatures.
Most automotive SLI (Starting Lighting Ignition) battery labels will display 2 different ratings ... (M)CA and CCA.

I hadn't actually heard of the 60F versus 32F specs that T-Bucket has mentioned, but I will agree that ambient temperature is kind of like a double-edged sword. When engine blocks and engine oils get cold, it takes more power to roll them over, at the same time as the battery is less capable of providing the extra "oomph".

It can get REAL cold here on the Canadian prairies ... -40, even -50!!! I define "cold" to be when you can't hear the engine noise over the howling of the power steering pump, tires seem to be square on the bottom, and the shock absorbers are so stiff that you feel every bump in the road. Letting off the gas feels like you are riding the brakes ... The exhaust from the vehicle in front of you is so dense that you can't see it until he lets off the gas. At those kinds of temps ... you might have 20 seconds of cranking time. If it hasn't started by that time ... it's flooded and your battery is dead.

I've lived in places where I wouldn't even attempt to start my 68 Merc (ford 390) without having DUAL block heaters.
That car had such a good heater that it could make the steering wheel go soft when it was -40 outside. At 60 MPH on the highway, though ... it was all it could do to keep the windshield defrosted.

This is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Cranking amperes (CA), also sometimes referred to as marine cranking amperes (MCA), is the amount of current a battery can provide at 32 F (0 C). The rating is defined as the number of amperes a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery).
Cold cranking amperes (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 F (−18 C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.
Actually, the whole article is an informative read. They also explain the differences in battery construction ... and why an RV/Marine battery is not intended as a STARTING battery.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

COLD batteries

And - for those of us who have "been there, done that", there is an electric blanket for batteries - honest! It is plastic covered, supposedly acid-proof and wraps around the battery, plugs into the 120V wall outlet (along with your block heater) and keeps the battery warm, even on really cold days. Draws about 40 amps. (I have lived in all 3 prairie provinces and in the NWT before moving to "balmy" southern BC)

HOWEVER - you should remove the battery blankie for summer use as your battery may overheat and give you troubles due to lack of battery cooling on hot summer days

(and if you want to get strange looks, pull into an auto service place in an area that does not get really cold winters, with one of these blankets on your battery!)
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
And - for those of us who have "been there, done that", there is an electric blanket for batteries - honest! It is plastic covered, supposedly acid-proof and wraps around the battery, plugs into the 120V wall outlet (along with your block heater) and keeps the battery warm, even on really cold days. Draws about 40 amps. (I have lived in all 3 prairie provinces and in the NWT before moving to "balmy" southern BC)

HOWEVER - you should remove the battery blankie for summer use as your battery may overheat and give you troubles due to lack of battery cooling on hot summer days

(and if you want to get strange looks, pull into an auto service place in an area that does not get really cold winters, with one of these blankets on your battery!)
Yeah, geez ... I had all but forgotten about those, and haven't sold one for EONS. I suppose part of the reason for that is the multitude of battery sizes now, not to mention the fact that R&R 'ing a battery is no longer a simple operation on a growing number of vehicles.

Take my 98 Grand Prix for example. Physically, the R&R is pretty simple ... but getting back in and discovering that your stereo is "locked" is a PITA. (Hint... use a 9V battery or low amp battery charger attached to the positive post of the power distribution center as a "keep alive".)

I also thought I'd be a nice guy and offer to install a new battery in one of my wife's co-workers cars ... a late model Plymouth Breeze. I popped the hood and couldn't even SEE the battery. The factory had decided to install it under the air cleaner assembly ... right about bumper level. Niiiice!

Tags
battery, charge

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.