What brand paint do you like - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What brand paint do you like

What is your favorite brand of paint,clear and primer.

is it available online?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Boy you may get a lot of different answers here as we all have our preferences and what works best for us, but can adapt to others. All in all the big names seem pretty comparable overall in equal lines.

My favorite bases are dbc or pro-spray (but the prospray I've only gotten the opportunity to use once so far). I haven't used too many other bases really, besides chromabase back when I painted everyday for a living. Neither pro spray or ppg are available online as far as I know. Prospray is can be kind of hard to find, although I had chad who is a member here set me up and send me some. PPG I don't think allows online sales. The prospray I used on the last car I sprayed almost a year ago now, was half the price of dbc in that color, and performed just as well.

Primers I've used many different brands over the years, marhyde, omni, transtar and ppg k200. Don't really have a preference between these, although have had some instances of omni urethane staying soft and balling up the paper the next day, even though I measured the correct ratio. If I ever paint a car in the future, will probably order and use southern polyurethane primers, based on the good reviews others here give it.
Clear, again southern polyurethanes, used there universal clear a few times and its a very nice clear and reasonably priced. PPG 2021 I've also used a few times prior to southern polyurethanes and liked.
Southern polyurethanes is available online. Also they have very good customer service which can sometimes be a hard thing to find today. Although Barry K(a member here) mentioned the baker warehouse who I've ordered it from a few times before will eventually be closing, so not sure who to buy from yet if there isn't a jobber selling in your area.

Any decent sized towns should have several paint jobbers selling different lines, and have several to choose from you can just stop down and pickup. GB isn't all that big, but I know basf, rm, ppg, dupont, sherwin william, martin seynour, and sikkens (and had a matrix dist for a short time, but never tried it) are all available here from one of the jobbers in town.
Sometimes its nice to know your jobber, in the event you run into a problem and need something in a hurry, or hopefully has your back if you have a problem.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM

About paint

I can't remember how many paint dealers are in Ocala, but you should be able to get ANYTHING.
I started out with PPG back in the 70's. Looking back it was probably because that is what my Best Buddy Fast frank used.
Years later I was painting A LOT of NASCAR Hauers, and we used Dupont. I used it because that was what they used when I got there, but I learned something very important.
Just like a REAL PARTS MAN is very valuable, having a relationship with a decent Paint Supplier can make or break you....or atleast me.
I am not a production outfit, all one off, and custom stuff, mostly bases I need to shoot for my Airbrush or other graphics work, so I don't do a high volume of work.
The point is...if I have a problem....the guys at my local Supplier will come by the shop, and look at a problem, and help me sort it out!
I have learned as much from the guys at the Supplier as I have from anywhere.
They know the chemistry, and they have heard ALL the problems from ALL the painters and they know thew fixes.....stuff it would take me a lifetime to figure out.
They also coax, and coach me thru every new product change, because I am dumb as a rock mostly, and would still be shooting lacquer if they didn't make me change.....LOL
I am not prone to just go out and change stuff like that unless I am forced to somehow.
Soooooo I am one of those guys who pays a little extra I guess, but I get a hell of a lot for the money I spend there.
One other thing that they do.
Sometimes they do a special mix of something that is NICE, but for what ever reason the customer won't use it.
They keep me informed about this stuff, and I sometimes can incorporate that HEAVILY DISCOUNTED paint into another job.....it's a win/win situation.
I love the internet, and I enjoy the discounts there are to be had, but I have been doing business with some of these guys around here for years. They have seen me thru good and bad, have recommended me to other customers, have fronted me supplies when I was broke......so I keep BUYING LOCAL when it supports the guys who have been with me all these years.
I have a local parts store with some old guys that were there the day they invented the wheel, and they save me a lot of time and money. They are a bargain, the internet doesn't offer.
I don't know it all, and maybe I am a fool, but that is how I choose to handle it.....I'm sure you wil choose what is right based on your own style.
Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

What brand of paint do you like

I must agree with "Customconspiracy", buy local & you'll most likely get a better deal. The input from a good supplier can be invaluable. Also if you buy from a local supplier & you need a bit extra material, it's an easy fix.
I don't know about where you live but in Canada where I am, paints need to be shipped in hazardous material transporters & this ads some cost to the product aswell. If you do buy from the internet, check the cost of it landed at your place not just the cost of the paint, you might be surprised at the difference. Where I am, it is definitely worth buying local, even if it is on price alone.
Paint technology has changed drastically in the past few years so I'm sure you will get a lot of differing opinions on this. We have tried most of the big name brand paints but have found that Dupont has great coverage & has (in our opinion) the smoothest clear. A bonus for us is that the local supplier is also awesome at custom mixed colors so it is our paint of choice.
Funny enough in 2010 we will only be able to purchase waterborne paints in Canada so the trial of paints will start again soon. The testing we have done, Dupont still impresses us the most.
As for the primer, always use a matching primer to whatever paint you choose. Here is another example of why you should by local. If you purchase your fillers, primer & paint from the same guy, they can warranty it as long as you apply it as per directions, in a controlled environment of coarse. If you mix & match, well good luck getting anyone to back it.
Best of luck with your project

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.