what brand wiring harness do you recomend,or not? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonMiller
http://www.americanautowire.com/Products/PP16.htm

I need to compare better and I will but that link above is a nice unit as far as being able to remove the wires.

Possibly the RonFrancis too but I really can't tell from his web site. I know he just registered here - hopefully he can chime in on that

I don't think ANY others do though..
Thanks I will check the site out I am sure the Ron Francis also is that catagory. thanks for your effort Ed ke6bnl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

Wiring

Thanks for all the input.. I didnt ask the question but got alot of info I needed.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

a picture of the american block

Old 01-21-2005, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
a picture of the american block

sure looks alot like Ron Francis unit. Ed ke6bnl
Old 01-21-2005, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....rta~partsort~2

this is pretty cool, I'm not sure what the kit he quoted me comes with though

looks like this is the kit he quoted me - nice!

I'd sure like to see a much higher resolution picture of that block to read the letters etc.

Last edited by BrandonMiller; 01-22-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Re: Re: what brand wiring harness do you recomend,or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce
Good and Not expensive are not usually used at the same thing.......especially when it comes to car parts and pieces...

I prefer Ron Francis .....he advertises in all the Street Rod type magazines. He is not cheap..but his stuff works and has very good instructions........

For a 66 Nova.......they may be a GM approved source......

Ron Francis is usually cheaper since he gives you more parts and connectors. You can save money buying the other stuff but in the end you'll save more tripes to the auto parts storee if you use his. He guarrantees his products even if you sell the car. He has a great system with a serial number on every fuse box. Great stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl
sure looks alot like Ron Francis unit. Ed ke6bnl

But is isn't. Those connectors don't work right. Imagine being under the dash and trying to find the right hole to put the wire. He's just trying to copy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl
Thanks I will check the site out I am sure the Ron Francis also is that catagory. thanks for your effort Ed ke6bnl
Ron Frances is the first guy to make this tuff. Eevryone else is trying to copy him but he still has the best tech help.

Quote:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....rta~partsort~2

this is pretty cool, I'm not sure what the kit he quoted me comes with though

looks like this is the kit he quoted me - nice!

I'd sure like to see a much higher resolution picture of that block to read the letters etc.
HE makes them for something besides a universal GM package. He give you everything to use the car. There's too much to list

Quote:
Originally posted by sc2dave
i went there already,and dont see any harnesses for my year car.
Ron Francis makes one for everything. Just call and ask or order from his site. www.ronfrancis.com. Pick the Bare Bonz if you want to keep it simple. Order the Express if you want eveything under the sun, then just tell him what car, engine, alternator and steering column and he puts it together. No body else asks you anything. must be part of the difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by horvath
I put the EZ-Wire kit in my truck -- it's not designed for my truck, which is what I wanted -- lots of circuits to do as I please -- however, it was designed for my truck in terms of wire lengths, etc.

For $165, you can't go wrong!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Ron Francis is the only one who asks what kind of truck, engine and other things. That way it is made for your truck $325 and you have the right thing

Last edited by just44me; 01-22-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

First it isn't $325, second it's NOT a complete harness if you have EFI so what does it matter what engine you have? Just being devils advocate here. It doesn't come with the plugs for lights or ground wires etc so how is it any more custom than any other harness? Once again, could be wrong it is hard to tell from a tiny little picture what you get.

Speaking from others that have used his stuff they were happy but they were also into it for well over 6 bills - and they did not have EFI, be prepared to double that if you do. Of course nobody else gives you the EFI harness either but those are the things that just aren't clear.

If I wanted to put my fuse block in some odd place his would be the ticket, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

It looks like you need to use crimp connectors with Ron's but I could be wrong - it's hard to tell.

Just to bring another harness up here - the centech has a real clean unit

Last edited by BrandonMiller; 01-22-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Let me clarify the problem that I had with Ron Francis, first it was about 15 years ago and I still have the harness in the 36, At that time he sold a more or less universal harness and it turned out that one of the wires was labelled wrong. The biggest problem is that he did show his lack of support at a Major show and a lot of people overheard it. I understand that he now has better people skills and his tech support is much better.

I now perfer the EZ wire due to the cost, I have wired or helped to wire the following cars with the product
29 Model A
57 Chevy Wagon
48 Chevy Pickup
40 Ford coupe

All of the wires are labeled and most of the connectors are supplied, and the instructions even show how to hook up the Ford motors and elecltroic ignition.

Just remember that this is personnal opinion and does not reflect or either product as both are quality merchandice
Old 01-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

ever used the snap it or whatever it is called? Just asking because it is cheaper and the fuse box has a cover (not many do)
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Just thought I'd bring this to the top and see if anyone else has any good harness input since I STILL have not gotten mine but I am looking again and I'd like this ornament in my garge to be able to move under its own power someday..

thx
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Did you read the several page "sticky" on the top of this forum titled "wiring Harness" ?

Several pages on them from those that have used them And those that make them, like Ron Francis and the owner of EZ to wire..

If not, take a read..

Doc
Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

Did you read the several page "sticky" on the top of this forum titled "wiring Harness" ?

Several pages on them from those that have used them And those that make them, like Ron Francis and the owner of EZ to wire..

If not, take a read..

Doc

yep, reading it now. Hey, this thread was first :p

Interesting how the thread differs though
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM

I enjoy reading the different points of view and obviously everyone has they own brand they are comfortable with. Ron Francis is the pioneer of the do it yourself harness. His products are made to order. He needs the brand of vehicle, engine, alternator, steering column and distributor so they can include the correct parts. The Electronic fuel injection management system is a seperate issue. If Ron had his way he would include a full set of ground wires with every harness but since competitors don't so he can't as the costs would make a huge difference. If you have a Ford alternator you surely don't want a GM plug. Ron is the only one who does that. They then put a serial number on every fuse box so they know how it was built originally and can help the 2nd or even a 3rd owner. Making a change like a steering column and Ron handles it with a quick email reply. You can see high resolution photos on his web site ate ww.ronfrancis.com under wiring harnesses. Everyone has to copy RF. Painless' prices shot up to the highest once they had to start making a better product. They still cheat you in important places. RF fuse boxes cost 10 time (or more) of what other companies cost. One thing about RF, if he makes a mistake like we all can, he'll send you a letter telling you how to fix it. Others would just hide it. Oh, Amercian auto wire- their most high tech feature is plug in fuses that Ron Francis started using in 1980 before some of you were born. Those plug in termianls on AAW fue boxes are for light instrument rated loads. Not an Air conditioner. Just an attempt to copy Ron. Can't say enough about a top rated company. All the others have to compare their products to Ron's Who else makes a wiring product with a serial number?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Kwik Wire provides a great American Made(right in Wisconsin) wiring harness.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Last photo:

7 year old thread.

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.