What is this called? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
MoparGuy's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Age: 35
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this called?

Can anyone identify THIS for me please? I've always called it a mill, but searching for one under that name yields all kinds of useless stuff. I'm trying to price out a (relatively) low cost "mill", but it's hard to search for something when I don't know what it's really called! Second, does anyone know where/how to aquire one at a "reasonable" price? Or a reasonably priced alternative? I tried searching the forums, but again, not knowing it's precise name has raised difficulties... Thanks in advance guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
powerrodsmike's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: gilroy, california
Age: 56
Posts: 4,104
Wiki Edits: 161

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have heard of them being called a head and block surfacer or head and block surface grinder.

If you call it just a "surface grinder" you will get other results, as those typically have the grinding wheel mounted at a right angle to the work onstead of being flat with the work.

I'd check your local auctions for one of those as shipping will be expensive.

my signature lines...not really directed at anyone in particular..

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mar del Plata, Argentina
Posts: 35
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Bridgeport Mill
______________________________________________Rick ...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Old does not mean dumb
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Tennessee
Age: 75
Posts: 98
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a storm vulcan #85 block and head surfacer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,990
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 88
Thanked 541 Times in 470 Posts
Yes, it is a Storm Vulcan, If you want a "mill" for grinding heads. Look up grinders or surfacers. If your on ebay etc. Look up AMC, Peterson, Van Norman, Winona, Kwik-Way, Cincinnati etc. All have made different styles of machines, automotive machines are usually way different than industrial, but they ain't cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Bonafide Old Car Nut
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Manchester Ct.
Age: 65
Posts: 31
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Moparguy, that is a Storm Vulcan model #85 head and block surfacing machine. It is a very dedicated machine to that purpose. If you are looking for a more versatile machine,( Bridgeport type), it is called a vertical milling machine. If this is what you are looking for try to find one that is close to you as they are very,very HEAVY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007, 05:12 PM
MoparGuy's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Age: 35
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing a lot of research and I've found out a lot about this machine and all the other's I commonly see around machine shops. I've been looking to expand my garage's capabilities over the next few years to do my own machine work. Seems the equipment necessary to do all the basic work (deck, bore/hone, recondition rods, etc..) easily runs in the multiple tens of thousands. From the very few places I can find them for sale the blockmaster runs anywhere from 6 to 10 grand for operational units depending on condition and tooling. Boring bars can be had anywhere from $600 to over $5,000 with an air float table and tooling. I should be discouraged but I'm not. I guess my wallet doesn't have enough holes already (hey, at least I'm not looking at Rottler CNC stuff!) I should preemptively mention that I'm aware of the skill and experience required to handle this equipment, and I'm fully aware that I don't have it. Though between my brother (a production machinist), The Sunnen's Complete Cylinder Head and Engine Rebuilding Handbook, and all the great folks here on the forums (Machine Shop Tom especially), I feel confident that I can learn my way around. Again, thanks for all the replies and if anyone knows good places to find this kind of equipment, I'd be happy to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: a little S/E of Nome
Posts: 803
Wiki Edits: 647

Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a great place to start: http://toolandfab.com/

Nice helpful folks around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Welder | welding »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searching for a movie called "Deuce Coupe" Chris57ltr Hotrodders' Lounge 4 09-07-2006 09:38 AM
What is this called? EazyDuzIt102 Engine 44 10-11-2005 10:11 PM
What is the part called? D200Dodge Engine 40 01-30-2005 01:27 PM
HELP? We are looking for a film called "Deuce Coupe" paulkopera Hotrodders' Lounge 3 01-20-2003 09:46 PM
whats it called? elcaminoescondito Body - Exterior 5 01-06-2003 10:03 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.