• summit

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • lunati

Votes: 23 9.7%

what cam brand do you prefer?

29K views 99 replies 77 participants last post by  racecar100 
#1 ·
its an engine question.

i know there are more cam manufacturers but thats what i listed.

#3 ·
Comp Cams.

I have used the XE268H .477/.480 in a well used 350 and it ran very well and pulled strong. Largest cam that can be used with a stock torque converter.

I am running a 280H Magnum .480/.480 in my current 350. I use a TCI Saturday Night Special (advertised stall is 1800-2100 RPM). Very strong in all RPM ranges.

I also used the Comp Cam 'Kit' (timing chain & sprockets, lifters, springs and retainers & pushrods) with the XE 268H.

Installation was very easy. Break-in went very well. No problems.

I have not used any other manufacturers product to compare with.

Rear gears are 3.80-1 with 28" diameter rear tires. Trans is a rebuilt 350th with a B&M Transpak (Street version).

#11 ·
I used to swear by Chet Herbert Cams! Shucks, one time I called old Chet up and he told me he'd personally grind a cam for my old 440 Road Runner!! That was one sweet (reground) cam! Don't get to hung up on cam brands these days! Even white box cams come from the same manufacturers, just ask Bobcrman!

I always thought the Blue Racer cams had the best stickers!!

#13 ·
If the engine is going to make some serious horsepower, we go with Comp Cams cause they have a good selection, are good products and we get enough of a discount through our warehouse to make a small profit. If it's a budget build, we sell the Melling or Clevite brand of generic cams, the same as Summit and others. We get a real good deal on those and can compete with the mail order houses on price.

#18 ·
What about Isky and Engle? I have run Crower, Comp, Crane, Lunati, Isky, Engle. The only cam related problem I ever had was with a Crower solid roller on the street.

My three favorites (in no particular order) would be Engle, Isky, Lunati.

I also agree it really doesn't make much differencewho grinds it as long as the cam fits your needs.

Royce

#20 ·
I know this is a poll on cam brands but i cant resist you all obviously know much much much more than i ever will about cams and engine mechanics in general. I have a brand new (newly bored) engine never been cranked or even lubed up. The previous owner built it to street race he said. It has a 882 head and 282 crane cam. I am looking to go smaller i think. I dont want a beast of a truck at this point in time. To be honest i just cant justify the cost of gas and go to college at the same time. Now maybe in 5 years when i am out and have a new daily driver and my c10 becomes a play toy then i will go all out power....Anyways my question is as follows

What brand and sixe/model should i run on a new cam. I want better gas mileage than has been predicted with the 282. My setup is a chevy 350 with a 600cfm edelbrock carb. Dual flowmasters, headers, th350 trans with mild shift kit (brand/model uknown) and the rearend is undetermined at this point in time. I want this truck to still be quick, but gas is king right now. Thanks

#21 ·
I don't yet know a lot about the pros and cons of the different brands and grinds of cams, but a buddy of mine had an '82 Camaro that had an Erson cam and oversize jets in a stock quadrajet carb. It didn't have a noticeable lope to it, so there was little overlap, but it was stout and sounded WICKED when the back barrels on the quadrajet came alive. He got rid of it several years ago and I still miss the sound of that car

#22 ·
In the past I have run Crane, Alliance( that was one stout cam) and right now am running a Lunati. Now they all have their pros and cons and everyone has a favorite. The guy that does my machine work is suggesting a custom grind Isky for my GTO when I get started on my new engine. Cam manufacturers grind cams for just about anything out there and what may make power in one engine may not make perform the same in another, there are so many variables that can attribute to that, so I'm not going to say which one is best because they all have good grinds, and they all have their faults whether it be bad lifters, or soft cores. One thing I have noticed with the Crane is that it takes too long for them to get broken in and start developing power, Lunati needs extensive ignition modifications for them to perform plus their power band is very narrow and peaks way to early. And at times a car will perform better with a stock grind cam than an aftermarket in the case of my 70 SS 396 Chevelle back twenty years ago, went through the 396 and bought a new Crane cam (one of the old Fireball grinds) and the thing wouldn't make any power above 4500, stock I could turn it to 6200. It all depends on what you want and how you plan to use your vehicle.

#23 ·
Overall,I like the comp cam,better lobe survival I've found,and I usually like 112 or less lobe separation in most cases,but thats me. It really does depend on what your looking for in specs. Years back it was a common thing for me to get mine custom ground because I couldn't find just what I wanted,but anymore it seems there is such a wide variety,closer to how I used to have them ground spec wise,that I just need to look a little harder and I'll find near exactly what I wanted. For a inexpensive grind with good basic specs,the summit cam-lifter sets cant be beat I don't think,wish they had a bigger selection but,oh well.

#26 ·
As I stated before Crane and most of the others that sell white box cams do not grind them. The energizer series is a white box cam in a different box. I've been to the factory that does grind them, I used to buy them for $17.00 each in quantity. Camshaft companies only grind custom stuff. Drag, NASCAR, rollers etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.