• summit

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • lunati

Votes: 23 9.7%

what cam brand do you prefer?

29K views 99 replies 77 participants last post by  racecar100 
#1 ·
its an engine question.

i know there are more cam manufacturers but thats what i listed.

#52 ·
cam pool

I'm running the 305H with all the matching valvetrain, and You have to heard the sound guys....F*** it's incredible....Radical Idle in a 468 BBC with ported head and dome piston...this car is a daily driving beast....(Chevy Nova SS 74)

Stephane

#55 · (Edited)
Hey Cold Knock...I ran with a group of guys in Atlanta that ran with the group of guys that John Reed ran with....He usually rode with Jack (6PACK) Balcomb in his black 55 Belair....
Those were the days.
BTW, I had two roomates in College (Go Bulldogs) that were from Social Circle, Bobby Whitaker and Ned Hamil...I suppose that old Social circle is a lot bigger that when i went to the fish fry at the church homecoming one warm summer night !!!:thumbup:

I can tell you one thing about Comp Cams..They do the right homework. Most of my customers who come in wanting a camshft added to their ride know which comp that they want..If I feel the need to talk them into somthing else, it is fairly clear to them since the catalog does such a good job of decribing different grinds and how they affect a driver !!!
The one that generated the most business was a 67 Impala ragtop with gold spoke 13" wheels on it. I did headers,cam(268H), Intake, carb, Flowmasters, lotsa chrome, and a 700R4, and that changed the car so much, all of his buds from the neighborhood started bringing me their rides. But then he went to prison as did some of his buds, so that ended. It surely was odd being paid in 5's,10's and 50's...

#56 ·
Just curious, nobody has mentioned the Edelbrock cams. They're known for their heads, intakes and nice looking valve covers, are their cams as good? They're definately marketed to the auto parts store enthusiast.

Who's cams dial in to the #'s they say they are? Or better yet, who's don't? I recall someone saying in a post a couple months ago that they have noticed that certain cam manufacturers cams don't dial to the exact #'s that are on their spec sheet.

#57 ·
70bird said:
Just curious, nobody has mentioned the Edelbrock cams. They're known for their heads, intakes and nice looking valve covers, are their cams as good? They're definately marketed to the auto parts store enthusiast.

Who's cams dial in to the #'s they say they are? Or better yet, who's don't? I recall someone saying in a post a couple months ago that they have noticed that certain cam manufacturers cams don't dial to the exact #'s that are on their spec sheet.
Edelbrock cams are made by the same people who make Clevite, Melling, etc. The only difference is you pay a lot more for the Edelbrock name.

A lot depends on the timing components when dialing in a cam. I've seen more problems with cheaper timing components than anything else.

tom

#59 ·
Even though I have an IN with Crower that lets me buy at W/D, I mostly use Crane cams unless I need a custom design at which time I go with LSM.

One of the local engine builders has a Cam Doctor which he uses on just about every cam he installs in the engines he builds. (He wants to verify what he is putting in the motor and ensure there are no differences in the lobes) He builds a few NASCAR Truck motors and a number of South West Tour car motors. He said he finds Crane's cams to be the most accurate from lobe to lobe with respect to what the cam card states.

#60 ·
I've always had good luck with comp cams. Called comp up directly, told them what i was wanting and customer service set me up with the right cam lifters gears and chain for what i was wanting to do. The new gears were a few teeth smaller than stock so i called them up just to re ensure myself that they were right, which they were and ever thing else went together fine. Break in went smooth and haven't had any problems since.
Zac

#61 ·
Well considering I have had 3 comp cams go flat shortly after breakin and never had another do it, I have to say anything but comp. My turbo engine had about 5 hours run time. When I torn it down for the bearing issue I found that the cam was starting to wipe the lobes at the peaks. Had the heads rechecked and they were good for .650 lift so there was no binding. They actually had a small flat spot at the peak of every lobe from wear. I must have really bad luck or something, but I have got alot of junk from them.

Chris

#68 ·
68c10owner said:
schnider cams are my cam of choice. the will custom grind a cam for you at no extra cost and their cams make great power, as long as it`s the right cam for the job.
I'd go with Schneider if I had an engine to build; they're the little guy. Just like the parts store that sells speed parts on the corner, I go there instead of AutoZone and DiscountAutoFarts. Better customer service, and they know alot about cars there. I don't think having 4 wheel drive makes a difference on what air filter you get from Autozone, and I don't trust the miles of Chinese crap from Discount, although their KN filters are slightly cheeper than the local speed shop. I still support the little guy.:thumbup:

burn wal-mart and auto-zone and bring back all the mom-n-pop places!;) I know they provide jobs, but the mom-n-pop places did too, and paid more than minimum wage too.

#69 ·
OddRodder said:
I used to swear by Chet Herbert Cams! Shucks, one time I called old Chet up and he told me he'd personally grind a cam for my old 440 Road Runner!! That was one sweet (reground) cam! Don't get to hung up on cam brands these days! Even white box cams come from the same manufacturers, just ask Bobcrman!

I always thought the Blue Racer cams had the best stickers!!

#70 ·
cams

I use comp cams .477 with stock convertor in my 350 daily driver. I ran a 13.9 with it.
I use crane's .500 302 duration energizer with 2800 stall in my 400 vette. I ran a 12.56 with it.
I use crane's .544 in my 454 bracket car with 3800 stall. I ran an 11.86 with it.
I like crane's grey break in lube much better than the red stuff comp gives you.

#71 ·
John Reed and Gang all the way

I ran crane and crower in the 70,s and once found myself in a jam on a saturday night where I was doing a quick build on a bbc for just toolin around town, I wound up getting a reed cam from a buddy, mind you I called reed and got the absolute best help I had ever had from a rep, I strongly agree with cold knock
Reed makes great cams and provides awesome support staff!
heck I thought they were just roundy round guys but that cam
was more powerful than my previous crane and with less lift??
Ditto with cold knock I wish they were next door to me also!!

#75 ·
Best cam I ever used was a 58R Racer Brown roller in a 409. Unbelievable cam, pulled to 6800 +. One other grind we used was a General Kinetics in a drag car, but it went flat after a dozen runs due to high spring pressures. Used the same grind, but with the hard face overlay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.