what cam do you prefer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what cam do you prefer?

Listen up my fellow gear heads and I'll educate you on some facts about life and the parts bus. Over 50% of all parts found in your local parts stores are not made by the name on the box, most are just bought in large bulk mass and simply rebox with the buyers/customers name on the box, its effective and cheaper (in most cases) than name brand... itís that old Sam Walton theory. If you donít think it works or you think the quality is less, then you are living a very sheltered life and need to get out more and I'm not talking about going to the track more. I'll try and use the Sam Walton theory a bit more to get my point across a little clearer.
Most or all retailers donít make a single part, they are just there to sell you my friend, the consumer, the part, and take your money. Do you really think Wal-Mart makes crackers, cola, and purified water? If you do then McDonalds must be in the farming bus. and have a lager farm some where, growing potatoes for their fries.
Donít think for a min. that your local parts store makes oil, air filters or brakes. NoÖ due to pure economics they kind of leave that part up to the people who not only know how to make them but someone who has the equipment and know how (not to mention the personal) to manufactory them.
It a little known fact that ALL steel billet cam cores are made by one cam company. Donít believe me? Call them up and ask them, any of them Ö. ďWhere is your steel billet cam core made?Ē Its like OddRodder said about the white box cams, they all come from the same place. No matter whose name is on the box or how much they spend on marketing, stickers/decals or what lube they say to use they all are pretty much come from the same place. Made to their specs and boxed and sold to what the customer wants. When you are looking at a catalog or any advertisement, you are buying what the masses want and demand.
Hereís yet another question does the big three (or for that matter, mail order or retailers in general) make all of the parts (cams) that they sell (or advertise)? I donít think so scooter. They farm it out to a contractor who is set up to do that. A company that is set up to do it, and the know how to do it in a mass production. This doesnít make the product any less in quality or price, it just give the consumer another option in what they may have grown accustom spending their hard earned money for. And it worksÖ no matter what the name brand is on washers and dryers. Stereos or TVís there is only a few who produce or make the product but the labels are out there that people will buy just because of the name or the price. But like cams most come from only a few places, no matter whose name or labels are on them.
Iím on the inside, looking out. A poll is only as smart (or up to date) as the people that are polled. I hope that I have opened a door or up dated the 114 that are in this poll.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

I'll say it again. You're preaching to the choir.

Larry
Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Well since you are on the inside how about leaking a little more info... like who makes what and who's the producer of the billet cams?-Very curious.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Last journal entry: Making the change
Last photo:

I'm new here, but I've got to ask: What did all of that have to do with camshaft's ?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:16 PM
CLICK ON MY AVATAR

what the hell was al that about??????you did not enlighten me???
Old 12-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Last photo:

The word is finally out, thanks for educating all of us. All our parts are made by elves in the north pole.

Vince
Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Was the North Pole relocated to China?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:50 AM

Last journal entry: Making the change
Last photo:

[color=yellow]Nah Man. Haven't ya heard ? It's in South America now.[/color]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Billet cores are now supplied by several companies, but the core has nothing to do with the lobe profile. Sure some cams are mass ground, but just because a cam is 224 @ .050 doesn't mean another cam that is is identical.

My industry is no different then others. Dana just doesn't supply Chrysler with parts.

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

cams

Trivia:
Crane Cams makes 90% of the cam blanks used in the USA, including those used by the big 3 auto makers.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Keith,
They use to. They sold that division to FM. Then they sold it to 6 employees.

Crane still is the major supplier of mechanical roller cores, but after Ford went to the overhead stuff, Crane sold Camshaft Machine.

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Cam History 101

Thanks for the update on that. When did Crane sell out? It has to have been in the last 10 yrs or so.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

It has been, around 96 or '97. Then FM sold it to the 6 guys about 2 1/2 years ago or so. Time escapes me now.

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

moving cam blanks

I figured it had to be within the last 10 yrs or so. I had a conversation with a tech at Crane on the phone back in 93. I was shopping for a cam for a 351C at the time, and thats when I fould out about Crane making all the camshaft blanks.

Back in those days, about the only people that made a really good cam for a Ford was Crane. Crane had done most of Fords R&D on their performance cars from the early 60's on up, including the OHC 427's.

Most everyone else was just copying a small block Chevy profile and sticking it on a Ford camshaft.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

All I know is the wal-mart version of creamy peanut butter isn't as smooth as the name brand version. They do appear to come in the same containers with different labels though..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.