What cam does my motor have ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What cam does my motor have ?

I am in the process of fitting a 1998 360 chrysler Magnum motor into a project Im building. This was originaly a EFI motor but as this came fron a vechicle that had had a under hood fire most of the EFI parts were toast so I have fitted a new Crosswind airgap inlet along with a Edelbrocck 600 carb and a mallory electronic dizzy. What I would like to know is what cam is fitted to this motor and how well it suits a much smaller and lighter car of about 2500 lbs. The motor was from a 1998 Dodge Dakota RT.

Thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,217
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 100
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
I'm not a MOPAR guy, but did they make a 360 Magnum??? I'm only aware of the 383 and 440 Magnums. Maybe after the 60's muscle car era?
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 08-25-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 AM
27 t's Avatar
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.
 

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MA.
Age: 46
Posts: 80
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cam specs are as follows
Intake valve diameter 1.925 inches
Cam design type: mild hydraulic roller
Intake valve timing:
......Lobe centerline 115.5
......Advertised duration 251 degrees
......Opens btdc 10 degrees
......Closes abdc 61
.....maximum lobe lift 0.27 inches
.....rocker arm ratio 1.6
.....gross intake valve lift 0.432
Exhaust Valve diameter 1.625 inches
.....Lobe centerline 109.5
.....Advertised duration 261
.....Opens bbdc 60 degrees
.....closes atdc 21
.....maximum ex lobe lift 0.27
.....rocker arm ratio 1.6
.....gross exhaust valve lift 0.432
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
27 t's Avatar
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.
 

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MA.
Age: 46
Posts: 80
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I'm not a MOPAR guy, but did they make a 360 Magnum??? I'm only aware of the 383 nad 440 Magnums. Maybe after the 60's muscle car era?
yup .. Dakota RT 5.9 250 horsepower and 345 lb.-ft. of torque....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 t
cam specs are as follows
Intake valve diameter 1.925 inches
Cam design type: mild hydraulic roller
Intake valve timing:
......Lobe centerline 115.5
......Advertised duration 251 degrees
......Opens btdc 10 degrees
......Closes abdc 61
.....maximum lobe lift 0.27 inches
.....rocker arm ratio 1.6
.....gross intake valve lift 0.432
Exhaust Valve diameter 1.625 inches
.....Lobe centerline 109.5
.....Advertised duration 261
.....Opens bbdc 60 degrees
.....closes atdc 21
.....maximum ex lobe lift 0.27
.....rocker arm ratio 1.6
.....gross exhaust valve lift 0.432
Thanks for the reply but I belive the valve size you have listed is not correct as I was lead to belive that the inlet valve size is 2.02 ? the exhaust size you have posted up looks right. And if the rest of what you have posted reguarding lift and duration how will that make my car drive as I dont fully understand all that tech stuff

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
27 t's Avatar
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.
 

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MA.
Age: 46
Posts: 80
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPARINMYCAR
Thanks for the reply but I belive the valve size you have listed is not correct as I was lead to belive that the inlet valve size is 2.02 ? the exhaust size you have posted up looks right. And if the rest of what you have posted reguarding lift and duration how will that make my car drive as I dont fully understand all that tech stuff

Thanks
well IDK.. someone should reply after reading the specs and let you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
ericnova72's Avatar
More for Less Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Age: 47
Posts: 8,959
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 378 Times in 347 Posts
Just the typical small fuel injection friendly stock cam, it will run with a carb just like it did when it was fuel injected. Smooth stock idle, good low end power, not much over 4500 rpm. No lope at all. Good mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Just the typical small fuel injection friendly stock cam, it will run with a carb just like it did when it was fuel injected. Smooth stock idle, good low end power, not much over 4500 rpm. No lope at all. Good mileage.

Sounds quite good but I can see myself getting the need for more power after a short while what would be a worthwhile cam upgrade that still is street friendly but will give a good power increase ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam tight on insertion 70bird Engine 12 12-27-2008 07:51 PM
good cam? boatanchors Engine 6 11-19-2008 08:31 PM
roller cam selection for my monte ss redbandit98 Engine 37 06-21-2008 10:39 AM
Cam button length/clearance..? mrdreex Engine 1 04-12-2008 10:17 PM
Help Me Pick A Cam Canadian Charlie Engine 2 11-16-2005 01:11 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.