Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What cam to get with my current build?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Everywhere you read they say it is bad for torque to run big cc heads with a mild cam. And the dynos show the same thing.

However, I had a different experience recently that makes me not care so much about that.

a friend of mine build a simple 350 (9.3:1 cr) with a th350, 2.87 rear gear, and a stock stall. Has a little 260H compcam in it. He had old fuelie 2.02 double hump heads with 64cc chambers and 165cc intake ports. The heads kept blowing exhaust header gaskets so he tried a set of my 200cc dart iron eagles. And we felt no performance difference in the low rpms and maybe felt a little stronger on the top end. Really hard to tell any difference at all. Surely wasn't a super noticeable difference as you would predict from reading engine tech articles.

Sure, I try to match my engine components according to the "standard" but I don't think I will worry too much if the heads are a little too big for the cam. Especially since your engine is a 383 with a 3.42 gear.

check out his web site. http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos2.html

combo 11 is about what you have. also notice combo 12 which is a 350 with biggish 195cc heads and also has a cam about the same size as your.