what cam to put in my 396 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post what cam to put in my 396

hi,

i have a 69 chevelle and it currently has a crate 350 motor and a 350 tranny. I will be buying this 396 to put into it very soon. I will have a th 400 tranny (basically stock). the 396 is a 68 block (the 325 hp version)and it is bored to a 402. It has the oval port heads and it has comp cam rocker arms, and a 270 magnum cam right now.I was wondering what I could do to it as far as changing the cam to maybe a 280 magnum cam. I dont want to totally tear apart the engine as it only has 3k miles on it.Should I switch to a roller cam w/ roller rockers? If so, what kind? I will also be puttin an msd 6A box and ditributor. hedman headers, 3"exhaust with crossover pipe,3.55 rear end.

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: 60velleman ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

I have a Comp 292H magnum cam in my 454 and it has a very racy sound to it, in a smaller motor i wouldnt go above 280 with a flat tappet cam for the street. but i dont think swapping from 270 to 280 is going to give you your moneys worth of improvement say max 15 Hp.

If you want an improvement the ONLY thing is a roler cam, you'l get much improved airflow since the valves open and close faster, they will be at max flow longer with the same duration cam. for a daily driver/weekend car, id go with a comp 286HR hydraulic roler retrofit cam. and a set of high ratio roler rockers.

you might later want to ger a set of merlin ovalport heads, they flow better than OEM ls-6 heads and would bump your power well beyond one pony per cube. (if this could be inyour plans go with a 304HR hydraulic roler cam)
Old 05-28-2002, 09:09 PM

hey,

thanks a lot for your input. I agree with you in that i dont think going with a 280 cam wouyld make much difference. AS far as a roller cam goes,
do you have any recommendations on a good set of roller rockers. What is the lift and lobe separation of that 286hr cam you told me about?as far as the heads go. You think sticking to a set of iron heads like the merlins would be good? I was thinking of a set of aluminum heads maybe a set of AFR'sor even a set of the edelbrock performer rpm heads. Then naturally I'd beef up the cam a little bit more. Thats a ways down the road though. For now i think i'ma stick to the 270 comp cam with the comp lifters and the performer 2-0 intake (i might upgrade that to a performer rpm 2-0 intake) and a holley 750 carb, with msd box and hei distributor, along with a nice set of hedman headers. how does this sound for right now? Think I'd be pushin 375hp?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:27 PM

When you plan on getting heads, don't get the edelbrocks. Spend a little more and get the much better AFRs. With the combination you say you will have by then, you should be well over 400hp. Stick with the 270 until you get the heads so that you can do all that at one time and get them all tuned at one time. You will really notice the power then. If you are going to do some racing, then get a Torker or Victor intake; if you are going to daily drive it, then get the performer Rpm or Torker for better drivability. As far as rollers go, I couldn't tell you much. What I do know is that a roller cam can have steeper lobes and therefore causing the valves to open faster and longer. You can stay with the same lift on the cam but the valves will open quicker and longer. The rollers are also much more efficient and need less power to operate than the flat tappets do.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.