what can i do with a 396 bbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what can i do with a 396 bbc

I have a 66 chevelle when i got the care car it came with a extra motor it was a 383 stroked block but i want a big block i purchased a stock 396. what would be a good combo for good driver motor with plenty of powerl the car is factory ac car if that matters thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott hester
I have a 66 chevelle when i got the care car it came with a extra motor it was a 383 stroked block but i want a big block i purchased a stock 396. what would be a good combo for good driver motor with plenty of powerl the car is factory ac car if that matters thanks
Personally I would use the 383, it is lighter and probably better performing than the stock 396 big block.

If you want you can drop of the Big block at my house if you dont have a place to keep it

Chet
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Depends what you want to do with the car.....For looks appeal or if building an SS clone, you cant beat a big block....and they have plenty of touque too.

The advent of the 383 stroker brought a lot more torque to the SBC.......great race or street engine....its all up to you.

Budget RVs
Old 01-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

BUT..., be aware that the 496 stroker BBC kits have become so cheap that if your 396 needs anything more than a cheapie ring and bearing job, you'll spend close to the same money for 396 cid as for 500 cid. Just thinkin..
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott hester
scott:I WOULD GO WITH 396,YOU DIDN'T SAY IF EARLY BB OR LATE? DOES IT NEED REBUILD?SORRY GUYS BUT I'M A BB CHEVY NUT,HAD A 66 396 THAT I REBUILT,HAD IN MY 57 150,MOTOR WAS A GAS!!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan57150
scott:I WOULD GO WITH 396,YOU DIDN'T SAY IF EARLY BB OR LATE? DOES IT NEED REBUILD?SORRY GUYS BUT I'M A BB CHEVY NUT,HAD A 66 396 THAT I REBUILT,HAD IN MY 57 150,MOTOR WAS A GAS!!
It's a 396, so no such thing as a late one. The last one built was 1969, and even if you consider the slightly larger 402 version, they're still not late model.

If it was mine (and I've done a few 396's) I'd keep it fairly modest. Stick with a hydraulic flat tappet cam that's in the .520-.535" lift, and don't go over about 286 degrees duration. The old style 396/402 heads are oval port on most and they work very well with their smaller chambers. You can have them port matched and get some great performance with them too. I'd stick with something in the 9.0-10.0 CR, and use a decent aftermarket intake. Most people will go with a dual plane aluminum hi rise intake, but I have found with all the torque a 396 makes that a open plenum works well also. I use a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb and they work really well for street use.
Summit sells a really nice rebuild kit for the 396 that includes TRW forged pistons, rings, bearings, HV oil pump, and gaskets for a very nice price. Used it on my last 396 build and loved it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM

I too say go with the big block. I've built dozens of engines over the past 25 years (from 421 small blocks to 468 big blocks) and a basic 396 is still my favorite daily driver/performance engine to build. Like said, pretty much do a stock rebuild on the bottom end no need for fancy cranks, rods, or pistons. Keep the compression 9.5-10:1 this is the key. 9:1 or less will make it a dog (in my experience). The stock closed chamber heads work good with very minimal work other then a stock rebuild. No need for fancy cylinder heads. 750 cfm Holley with a Edlebrock performer intake, a set of headers, camshaft with less then 220 degrees duration at .050 lift around 268 advertised .500-.525 lift will make a strong, torquey, daily driver with and rpm range of 1500-5500 rpm. I built 2 of these engines in the past 2 years almost identical, one went into a 70 chevelle the other in a 69 Nova. Both had turbo 350 transmissions and the Velle had 3.31 gears and the Nova had 3.08 gears. Both cars rans great with just a slight lope at idle and both could burn the tires like you were on a wet road from a stop. If you stood on the Nova at 30 miles per hour you could break the tires loose. Both owners were very happy with there engines for the money they spent and both wanted to go with a more radical small block and were happy they went with the big block when they were done. Plus the intimidation factor of saying you have a big block" is priceless. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

I'd sell the 383 to fund your 396 rebuild.. you'll be happier with the big block.. you'll have more low end and will add valve to your chevelle..
383's are good engines, but the small basecircle cam's make controling the valvetrain a headache.. with flat tappet cam's with any lift..
with the right cam you can run 11 to 1 in a 396 on pump gas.. and have a tire frier.. 9.2 to 1 and you can run 87 swill ..
good luck
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

if you have the time, look for the john lingerfeller(sp?)R.I.P. bbc stories in car craft with jeff smith.. they showed how to make bbc oval port heads make more power than the high zoot rec.port heads.. lot of good reading.
MIGHT BE ON THE MAGS WEB SITE.. it was early to mid 90's
they made a crazy fat and flat torque curve.. with parts most passed by(read cheap)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.