Hot Rod Forum banner

What can i do for my 1940 fornt axel

667 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
What can i do for my 1940 fornt axel. What aremy options...Mustang 2 axel? Repro A-arm n coil shock, or a clip that will easily fit in?

Any info will help

thanx

#3 ·
WELCOME TO Hotrodders.com :welcome: :welcome:

As a Moderator of the Suspension-Brakes-Steering area, I would like to tell there are no EASY solutions ... ;) The 40 Oldsmobile is a fairly heavy car, by street rod standards, will need good brakes to be safe at today's highway speeds. Some rodders swear by the Pinto/Mustang II front ends :) and others swear at them :nono:

Same can be said for clips. As I have never owned a 40 Oldsmobile, I will keep my opinion to myself but wanted to WELCOME you here ...

Deuce ...

#4 ·
The '40 Olds is the same relative size as a '40 Chevy. For my money a Mustang II IFS is by far the easiest way to go but as Deuce said you'll need good brakes so if you go that direction opt for the big 11" GM disks over the stock 9" Ford disks.

There are others that may suggest a GM clip but most will be too wide for a '40. An early Nova clip might just work though if you want to go in that direction. Just keep in mind that with a clip you'll have extra fabrication work in order to hang the front sheet metal back on the car. With a Mustang II IFS you keep your original frame (which is pretty strong by the way) and reinstalling the front sheet metal is just a matter of bolting it back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.