Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what can i expect from mechanical fuel injection on a 302/347 ford
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo150
I have a 2000 302 ford that I was planning on stroking out to a 347 and putting it in a 1966 ford f-100 4x2. I want to put a mechanical fuel injection system on it from hilborn. I'm wondering what can i expect in terms of power from bottom to top. I've heard that you dont get great gas mileage with them and i want to drive the truck often in the summer is there a way to get ok mileage with them. I'd be greatful to get any opinions or personal experiance with them.
We ran one on a flat head Ford rail, it required hand priming to start, a dedicated fuel pump, lines and tank including the "pill" jet that sits in the return line to the tank. Our barrel valve was a rudimentary affair that was a bit problematic, but it's just another requirement (allows idle). And you need the ability to tune it. The "street manners" of this deal were basically non existent, and to run one on a regular basis on the street would have been a total misery.

These days, though there's nothing that cannot be done, given enough effort and cash. But I'd (instead of REAL mech. FI) go w/the look, w/o the hassle and get a converted (or new) set up that looks mechanical but is actually EFI. The one below is from http://www.inglese.com/, there are others as well. Ant length stacks can be used and there are many styles.