Hot Rod Forum banner

what carb has best mpg and performance on 350 chevy?

23K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TurboS10 
#1 ·
i have a rochester on my 350 now and it wont idle correct or get good gas milage everyone has told me that they suck. so what should i use and what intake is best and best value?

#3 ·
You want milage and performance...get a good rebuilt quadrajet. The primaries are small for good fuel economy and the secondaries are rather large for good punch. My brother runs one on his 70 blazer and likes it a lot.
However, if you do decide to get an edelbrock...don't, get the new carter AFB, it is the same exact carb but costs less.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: drgnwgn289 ]</p>

#6 ·
It really should not matter which carb you use if it is tuned and working properly. At cruise speed, the butterflies are almost closed. What is needed is to tune the carb to have the highest tolerable air/fuel ratio at that speed. of course when you open the throttle it may no work as well when tuned for mileage. The AFB carb lends itself to easy tuning for mileage because of the sequential metering rod design thus varying the effective jet size. A holley or demon on the other hand uses the same jet size and relys solely on air signal to meter fuel needs. This tends to be a bit less economical.

Q-jets work like the AFB, so I would bet a properly working, well tuned one would work fine. It is possible to get 20 mpg with a carb, but difficult.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.