what carb should i use on a 283? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what carb should i use on a 283?

hey yall i have a 64 nova with a 283 i want to know what carb i should run. i have the power pack heads ported and polished, have roller tip rockers, 280h comp cam, holley street dominator intake the intake is gasket matched, hi perform hei, i have a holley 600cfm and i have had nothing but problems with it and now it finally bit the dust. what should i run i really dont want to run another holley or edlebrock. when the holley worked it ran well sould i go demon is the summit racing any good etc. what do yall think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

This would be my choice.....but that's me

Personally I like Edelbrocks for for street single 4 BBL aplications.

When you say the carb bit the dust what exactly is it doing or not doing?

I'm not throwing stones at your build but some more information would be helpful. The 283s are pretty displacement limited and the power packs originally only came with 1.74 intakes. The intake seems like it might be a little much for that engine unless you're really spinning it up with a lot of gear and stall convertor (if you're running an auto).

If you have had a few backfires thru the carb you have it could be as simple as a blown power valve, but changing carbs will only do so much if you have a bunch of mis-matched parts.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM

i have a powerglide in it working on getting 3:73bfor rear the intake is good from idle to 6000 i figured it would be good do you think i should run something else? i bought this carb 5 yrs ago and it randomly starts just dumping fuel into the secondaries and wont ever stop it will just keep dumping fuel. ive cleaned it up before and it would stop now it wont and it constanly is always changing and i have to keep tweeking it witch is to be expected but its not a race car so i dont think it should just be constanley changing.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

This should work well for you: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...00VS/?rtype=10 Good sale price too and it comes with a tuning DVD to help you set it up It is possible from your post you may be getting some erratic fuel pressure invest in a Holley regulator and set it at 5.5 psi.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
This should work well for you: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...00VS/?rtype=10 Good sale price too and it comes with a tuning DVD to help you set it up
X2 should be fine.

Cole
Old 10-16-2011, 12:17 PM

i do have a fuel pressure reg. and its set at 5.5psi but do you think maybe its the fuel pump its supposed to be 115gph electric pump and the pump is not supposed to need a regulator but it did this similar thing with the carb and i put a reg on it and it all went away maybe i have a crapy pump.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM

thinking about it more the pump is always making crazy noises all the time sometimes it make the fuel lines vibrate i have everything insulated and strapped tight and even still makes noise i know theyll hummm but it dosent hummm it crazy
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Be a good place to start sounds to me.

Cole
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Any reason you can't run a stock SBC fuel pump? Electric pumps are unnecessary on an older street car.If fuel is dumping in the secondaries, it sounds like the float may be misadjusted. The float itself may even be bad. After 5 years, it's time for a rebuild anyway. If you have one of those round chrome fuel pressure regulators, throw it away. It's junk.
280H cam is large for a street 283.
You say you are getting 3.73 gears. What gears are you currently running?
The P Glide consumes little HP. If you want more performance, think about a TH350. Consumes more power but has better gear ratios and is the same length as the PG so the driveshaft will still fit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.