What Causes Turn Signals to Blink Rapidly? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Causes Turn Signals to Blink Rapidly?

Recently noticed that the turn signals seem to blink more rapidly than they used to and don't make an audible click. Both front and rear turn signals do blink. This is on a street rod that has been in and out of various shops the past few months so I don't know when the blink rate changed.

But, when the emergency flashers are activated, all four lights flash at what I would consider a normal rate and make an audible click.

Is this fast blink rate an indicator of some problem?

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

In most cases the 4 ways use a different flasher than the signals.. Your signal flasher is probably going for a crap. Get a heavy duty flasher, they usually click slower, and louder.

Budget RVs
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

The flasher is kinda like a circuit breaker. If a bigger load is put on it, it will break the circuit quiker, and most of the time, it's a wire problem. The bulbs act as a resister, and make the flasher heat up to break the circuit, it cools, closes, and the light is on, heats up again, and breaks. If it blinks fast say on the left side, but not the right, recheck bulbs, and sockets on that side, along with grounds. If it blinks fast on both sides, try a different flasher for the normal signals. The 4 ways, use a different flasher. And by what you said, I would simply try a new flasher for the normal signal lights. They also go bad, and will flash fast.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

If one of your bulbs is out, this will happen.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

bulbs

Doc here,

What everybody said is sound advise..

Also, In addition, if you get stumped....check the lamps/holders for corrosion build up .. a real problem in those and they add more Resistance to the circuit..causing the flasher to weird out on ya..

Also you may have some ungrounded body parts..not knowing what kind of street rod this is, I would obtain and install a roll of wire braid , (cheap in the roll at rat shack) and ground the doors to the door posts the fenders to the frame, the radiator frame to the frame, the trunk (if you even have one) to the body, gas flap to the body..then run a 10 gauge to your main grounding point at the battery or where ever it is located from the firewall..use sheet metal screws, and/or tech screws with proper star washers and locks , and burnish all paint and dirt from those areas.

Check to be sure one of the shops didn't change a bulb out for you finding a bad one, and stuck the wrong one in there.

Doc
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

Sometimes a light-duty flasher will flash too fast if it's used with a multi-bulb rear lighting system like an old Pontiac, or with a trailer. Too many bulbs = too much current running through the flasher, which makes it flash too fast. The cure is a heavy-duty flasher.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Doc,

I have noticed your post on proper grounding and I am far from that.

The car had a frame off restoration so frame and body have new paint. Wiring was done by the shop, not me, so I have to try and follow the wiring visually.

My battery is in the trunk. The heavy ground cable is grounded to the frame about half toward the front of the car and doesn't look like the paint was ground off of the frame at the connect point. There are no other wires running from this ground point.

The block is gounded to the frame via a medium gauge wire (probably 8 gauge). I don't see any other obvious body to frame to block grounding wires. There is a webbed ground wire on the back of the block, passenger side, hanging loose apparently because it wasn't long enough to reach the frame.

Electric fans are grounded to the radiator support bracket which is of course bolted to the frame. Headlights appear to be grounded to this core support also.

Tail lights appear to be grounded to body frame at rear of car.

Not too good, huh?

John
Old 09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath
If one of your bulbs is out, this will happen.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
One bulb out should slow it down, not speed it up. Having one filament drawing current makes the flasher slower to heat up and thus slows down the time it takes to go open. Adding a bulb to the circuit would cause more current draw and the flasher heats up and opens faster.

So... You have not added tailights have you? Also, the hazards are on a different flasher so this might be the reason they are OK. Have you tried a different flasher? I did not remember you saying that. Flashers do go bad and will act wierd in both directions.

Rich
Old 09-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Hey, Rich

The last time I had one bulb burn out, my blinkers blinked exactly twice a fast; not slower! I replaced the bulb and they blinked at normal speed again.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

All four turn signals flash so the bulbs are okay.

I will try a new flasher. By the way there are only four bulbs in the circuit, no side markers, if that makes a difference.

John
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

ok, so what would make them stay on and force you to manually blink?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

If they stay on and you have to manually blink that means there is not enough current draw to heat up the strip in the flasher to make them blink. Bad wiring, connections or bulbs out.

horvath, I am not doubting you but I dont know how that can be.

Here is what happens. You have a bi-metal strip in the flasher. When you turn on your signals the power goes through the flasher (strip) and because of the current flowing it heats up. As soon as it heats up it opens a contact and the circuit breaks which makes the lights go out. As soon as it cools the contact closes and the lights come back on. The process is started all over again.

The more current going through the flasher (more bulbs connected) the faster the strip heats up. So short on times.

Want to add we are talking about traditional flashers here and nothing electronic which is uneffected by current draw.

Rich

Last edited by rrmccabe; 09-16-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the clarification, Rich. I guess, in some cases, if a bulb is out it can send more current to the flasher ... in other cases, less current.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Well not if the bulb is removed, but I have seen filaments melt and drop down and short internally and draw more current. You cant rule that out !

Rich
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
One bulb out should slow it down, not speed it up.
Any time I had a buld go bad the turn signal would flash faster than normal.

rrmccabe....Check all four of your signal lamps along with your signalstat. If one bulb is odd man out it can change your flashing rate also. Usually you have 1156 for tails, and 1157's for flashers which are the most common but there are other ones also. So I would check for that if all four are flashing.
Here is an interesting article on automotive flashers: CHECK IT

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.