Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what color to paint?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well if it were me

I don't know if I'd paint my car based on popular opinion or resale value. I know when I buy a car( meaning something I plan on restoring) color is the last thing I take into consideration if at all. I pick my colors by looking at other cars. Just go to a car show or look up some on the internet. Bottom line is it will be your car for at least the next few years and I doubt you'll be happy with a color you picked solely on it's resellability or popularity. When I bought my 01 mustang I looked up the colors on the internet and then went shopping for one at some local dealers. Several salesmen from different dealerships told me it didn't come in that color. I disagreed and they would each in turn confirm that I was correct. It was a new color for that year. When I finally agreed on a price from one of them. It was ordered and it was the first one in my area ordered in that color. When it arrived I got the call and went down to pick it up. The salesmen were gathered around it like they'd never seen a mustang before. A couple of months down the road, a saw the salesmen that I bought the car from when I went to get my oil changed. He mentioned that the dealership manager liked it so much that from that point on, he always ordered at least one mineral grey mustang gt on every truck. Bad for me, but my point is just because it's not the popular color doesn't mean you've made the wrong choice and
dispite what Martin may think
Quote:
There is a 4dr ’59 Cad in my area that is painted a fire engine red, I am sorry, it doesn’t work. In fact, it looks like hell.
, he could be the one with bad taste. Not completely disagreeing with what he said, definately inform yourself. Dont' just go by Chip book colors or magazine photos. You're spending the time and money on this car, so let the person who buys it after you worry about repainting it. I pretty sure a 65' nova SS wouldn't take long to sell if it were neon orange.( You're not going with that, are you?)

Just my thoughts and not much experience to go with it, but there you go,

Pencilneck