Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what color to paint?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
After the FACTS about what color "does" to a car as far as straight panels and panel fit that sort of thing, it is "only" opinion.

However, and this is a BIG however, there are ODDS you deal with. The ODDS are the there are less people who will like your beautifully built 64 Nova with a hot pink paint and purple and green neon flames. True, if YOU want it, it is your car. But if you WANT it to be "liked", if you want your car to be a good "special" and not a "bizzare" special, you won't paint it hot pink. Not at this point in time that is, ten or fifteen years ago for about a month and a half that would have been the hit of the show, but not now.

Those ODDS are what I am talking about when it comes to "taste". The ODDS are car painted like that will have fewer lookers, fewer awards, fewer buyers, peroid. THAT is not opinion, it is fact.

If that means nothing to you, by all means do it. If Big Daddy Roth would have cared what others thought we wouldn't have the art he created such as the Beatnik Bandit.

Barry, on that original Camaro, I just couldn't, I couldn't change that color! I couldn't even repaint it if it is in as good of shape as you say! Like I said in my article, I LOVE color, all colors. PERSONALLY, I like the less popular colors because, well, they are less popular.

I was working at a full on restoration shop doing early Ford V8s when I was a kid. We did a 36 Roadster in a gray color, I forget the name. But it litterally looked like gray primer with clear, a ZERO color. I couldn't believe the guy would want that color. Well, the first show it went to, I saw why and have had an appreciation for the "different" colors ever since. There were MANY dosens of similar cars all in a row, Washington blue! They were BORING. His stood out and REALLY got attention. These cars were all the same other than paint, not a hot rod event were you can have a different motor or top chop on your red car to make it stand out from the other red cars. No, they were all the same, exactly the same. That gray car really stood out and in a good way.

HOWEVER, the ODDS are if you put a for sale sign on it and a blue one the blue one would sell first, and for more money. That is STILL the FACT. I am not saying it is right, I am just saying it is the FACT.
Brian