what color primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what color primer

Hey folks,

Maybe I'm overthinking this a little but...I'm planning on painting my 48 chevy p/u a metallic copper color. I was wondering how much the primer color is going to affect the final color. I have Nason "buff" colored primer right now. What change would light gray primer have on the final color. Like I said I already have the buff colored stuff and thought that the lighter color would maybe help the paint to "pop' a little more. Your thoughts please. Thank you.

Barry

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Last photo:

"Overthinking" huh? no, we never do that! You know in less you have a lot of time on your hands......and spare money I would just leave it alone. The buff color primer should work well or you could have used the old red oxide looking color.

If you were using really crappy paint (and some guys will say that Nason is just that) that doesn't have a lot of pigment then you may have a problem depending on the color combination. Ask your paint shop if they think it will work ok or should you upgrade to Dupont Chroma or the like....good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Last photo:

Another thing to consider, as if you needed another thing to think about . The color of your underlying primer will play a factor when you receive a rock chip. A light colored primer on a dark colored car shows up more than a similarly colored primer when and if you get rock chips.

Vince
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Using red paint as an example.......would a light colored primer tend to make the final color brighter (lighter) than a dark primer ?

Just wondering.

Thanks !

454 RATTLER
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars
Hey folks,

Maybe I'm overthinking this a little but...I'm planning on painting my 48 chevy p/u a metallic copper color. I was wondering how much the primer color is going to affect the final color. I have Nason "buff" colored primer right now. What change would light gray primer have on the final color. Like I said I already have the buff colored stuff and thought that the lighter color would maybe help the paint to "pop' a little more. Your thoughts please. Thank you.

Barry
When painting a metallic over-coat such as silver or copper it would be best to use a contrasting substrate under the top coat. I would recommend dark grey primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
Using red paint as an example.......would a light colored primer tend to make the final color brighter (lighter) than a dark primer ?

Just wondering.

Thanks !

454 RATTLER
No.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler

Just wondering.

Thanks !

454 RATTLER
That is dependent on how well your paint covers. A cheap line may be affected whereas a quality paint will not.

Vince
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
That is dependent on how well your paint covers. A cheap line may be affected whereas a quality paint will not.

Vince
Not entirely accurate. Using a cheaper line really doesnít effect how many coats or how well it covers. Using a cheap line of paint will however often have problems with color matching and present problems with blending.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I get the point. Thank-you for the help on the red paint question.

454 RATTLER
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Not entirely accurate. Using a cheaper line really doesnít effect how many coats or how well it covers. Using a cheap line of paint will however often have problems with color matching and present problems with blending.

This is not true at all. Low end (and some of the "better") paint lines cover very badly and can take more than 8 coats to cover. Also reds and yellows are notorious for having poor coverage.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

you can always tint your primer,and you should use a tintable sealer.As mentioned before some colors are more transparent than others and may take more coats to cover,you'll have to really look close as you paint your base and alternate your direction on each coat...(for instance if you go front to back on your hood,the second coat should go side to side then the third diagonaly) and dont be surprized if it takes six or more coats to cover uniformly.The color you've chose is a difficult one to spray for a pro and many pros screw them up,so be prepared for an up hill battle,the differances in primer colors "pop" is more a problem for candies or Tri-coats.Your color is opaque not transparent so use a tintable sealer only because light spots wont be so noticeable,(if there are any)you'll need lotsa light and even more patience.but it can be done.I get the impression youve painted before so your already ahead of the curve. Good luck to ya.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
Duh I totally disagree.

Vince
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

occationaly I'll paint a transparent color like indigo blue with Nason because of the cost factor, chromabase can exceed 400.00 a gal way more, so I'll use nason...Personaly I dont tint sealer...I dont even use sealer anymore...But what I do use is my old nason basecoats mixed up to an aproxement close color as I'm going to end up with...Thats my sealer,three coats of that to fill sand scratches and end up with a uniform base for the new color.I've found some chromabase colors hard to cover as well,but no differnce between the final outcome.but for someone new to painting I cant recomend 800.00 a gal paint... to many things can and will go wrong...nason works very well if done correctly
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexflacco
This is not true at all. Low end (and some of the "better") paint lines cover very badly and can take more than 8 coats to cover. Also reds and yellows are notorious for having poor coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Duh I totally disagree.

Vince
Donít tell me that high-end quality paint will cover better than a low quality or cheaper brand. I have a 57 Ford wagon a customer wants me to redo because it was painted previously with Dupont Chromasystem and didnít cover properly. $700.00 dollars in paint and you can see the primer through it.

You guyís boast high quality products like youíve got stock in these corporations. The only ones making money with these products are the corporations that manufacture them and the jobbers who push them. As far as Iím concerned, for their costs they donít perform to my expectations.

If they did, I wouldnít have to redo this customerís car. On the other hand, if they did I wouldnít have to redo this customerís car.

And you can quote me in your next post.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Last photo:

The only reply I need, PPG DBU applied with a Harbor Freight 43430 gun.

Vince
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

PPG VA, SS enamel, $75.00 gal. Devilbiss GTi, So what.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.