what is the definitation of "Hot Rod" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: One More Seat
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what is the definitation of "Hot Rod"

Im starting to act my age I guess. When I was a bit younger a hot rod was a modified car not newer than about 1660. Then there was the 60's when cars were just cars. In the 70s muscle cars were all the rage. Now John Force calls his dragster a Hot Rod? Robbie Gordon was heard calling his trophy truck a hot rod? The other night in line to get food the kid in front of me was talking about his Hot Rod, I was anxious to get paid and outside expecting to see a rat rod! Not, it was a honda civic. So what is a HOT ROD these days? Thanks for helping me stay ahead of the curve.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Did you happen to see the cars that were crushed in the L.A. area? It was in all the papers around here, modified Hondas, a Cobalt, busted for modifications, then the guys that owned them couldn't come up with paperwork to prove ownership, recei[ts. etc, some had stolen parts, to the crusher they went. They were their "hot rods". My definition? A car that's been modified to go faster or perform better than stock. Force calls his dragster a Hot Rod, I know, but when you go as fast as he does I think you can call your dragster anything you want, I won't argue with him. Hey, I'm off to Famoso, to see some hot rods drag race. Dan
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:

By definition it is any vehicle modified to perform different than stock. Usually faster. Now, this definition will vary depending on what group of guys you talk to. Example: Some feel it has to be '48 and below. I guess it depends on what definition makes you happy and fits what you are building.

Amazing that after all these years, there isn't a set definition for something so simple.

Now, just to stir things a bit, what is a street rod and how is it different from a hot rod?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
By definition it is any vehicle modified to perform different than stock. Usually faster. Now, this definition will vary depending on what group of guys you talk to. Example: Some feel it has to be '48 and below. I guess it depends on what definition makes you happy and fits what you are building.

Amazing that after all these years, there isn't a set definition for something so simple.

Now, just to stir things a bit, what is a street rod and how is it different from a hot rod?
I guess it is just a matter of when you grew up? what ever you call it I hope it sticks around forever. What a cool hobby! I cant imagine growing up and not having hot roddin/street rodding in your life.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

MT, you said a mouth full. I have tinkered on cars since my teens and building my T is the first time doing something from the ground up. This is the most fun I have EVER had working on a car. There are times when I got stumped, but figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it turned out to be fun in the end AND I learned something.

There are only two things I really wish. One, that my dad was alive to see it and I wish I had a kid to share it with. So far, my girlfriend and my boss are my biggest fans. They saw it when all it was was a frame sitting on jack stands. It's no where near done, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh, and it's going to be a hot rod! Even if I'm the only one who thinks so!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
MT, you said a mouth full. I have tinkered on cars since my teens and building my T is the first time doing something from the ground up. This is the most fun I have EVER had working on a car. There are times when I got stumped, but figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it turned out to be fun in the end AND I learned something.

There are only two things I really wish. One, that my dad was alive to see it and I wish I had a kid to share it with. So far, my girlfriend and my boss are my biggest fans. They saw it when all it was was a frame sitting on jack stands. It's no where near done, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh, and it's going to be a hot rod! Even if I'm the only one who thinks so!
Very Cool! You know after reading you response I started thinking. My Dad is still here and in good shape, my son works with me and has his own projects. I know they both like the old iron but we just kind of take it for granted. It is our business so we are around it 24-7 nothing special anymore. I still have a Model A my dad had when he was a young gun. But then I try to picture what my life would be like without their support and encouragement, well lets just say I understand what you are saying. And enjoy this thing with your girl friend. If you got support from a gal then your light years ahead of me. HA So where can I find the Picks of your Hot Rod? Ive got to see with my own two eyes!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Sorry! I just found it. Im brand new here.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister
Sorry! I just found it. Im brand new here.
It's in progress, but she's moving forward, not backward. LOL

I'm sitting here trying to decide to go with a SBC that I know runs or get a longblock and have at it. The running SBC is $650 and the longblock will run about $1,200. I guess it mostly depends on how long I want to save up and what the out come will be. Oh well, nothing going on today anyway. I like to plan and research my options.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
It's in progress, but she's moving forward, not backward. LOL
Very cool! Do you have the body? Box back or turtle shell? I like to get um going, go small block an upgrade latter. Its not like its any work to change the moter out. I will talk to you later Ive got a 34 Plymouth hard top that I turning convertable and got to get BACK TO IT
Old 06-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister
Very cool! Do you have the body? Box back or turtle shell?
Not yet. I'm just now planning my engine options. (I edited my earlier post) I want to get the motor and tranny in, then get the body. I'm going with the standard body with a 14" bed.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.