What determines year? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 10:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What determines year?

Wasn't sure where to post this so if it needs moved...

This probably only applies to certain models of vehicles but was curious what you all thought about this. I am in the process of building a streetrod along the lines of 47-53 chevy pickup lines. Frame is a 1949, cab is 48, bed is 48, doors will be 51. What really determines, in your opinion, the year of a vehicle? I will register this as a 48 more than likely for the "sreetrod" designation.

I can see where people will question me on the year due to the fact that it has 51 doors. I know in the end it really doesn't matter much to anyone, was just curious.

Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Is your title and VIN tag for a '48? That will determine the "year".

A friend had a "stock" Model A Sedan in HS and while it was titled as a '30 it was built from the mortal remains of several 29's, 30's and 31's. The purists picked it apart but it was still a nice old car and he enjoyed the heck out of it for 20 years and the guy that bought it from him didn't care that it was a "mutt" either.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I'd recommend you check with your DMV. Some states title by the year of the engine.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The vin tag will be on the cab.....that should determine the year. There may also be a vin # stamped into the frame, but I would still go with the cab.......What year paperwork do you have for it?

Budget RVs
Old 10-25-2005, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Ok kinda Off Topic butt, have you ever seen a vehicle that you knew was a certain yr, but the owner & title says a yr different that what you know it is ? my dad as a kid worked for several new car dealers in the 50s in albq nm. and (this is a example) say a 53 model vehicle did not sell till the 54yr, the title the owner would get would say the vehicle was a 54. people argue with me on this, but my dad said he seen it happen many Xs(it was legal) i know he said he seen it happen at a dodge dealership, and I think a Chevy dealership. and people tell me No Way. kinda like GM telling the dealerships to put bon ami (comet) in the 1955 Chevy 265 V8s to stop them from burning oil. this was on history channel or discovery channel.

Mustangsaly
Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Ford did it back in the late forties early fifties. Things were a little simpler then. No Gov regs or computerized vins.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Mustangsaly....haven't heard of dealers doing things like that as far as the year goes, although some of the other things you mentioned I wouldn't put past some used car dealers. Heard of one that put saw dust in pan to quiet a knock. Needless to say it didn't get very far once it left the lot.

MI2600....I hope they don't go by the engine...LOL....as it will have a '79.

Poncho...Yes the tag is "normally" on the cab on the door jamb but this one is missing.

I guess I meant this more of a discussion as far as cars you see on the road or at shows. I've seen folks with cars and/or trucks registered for a certain year when there are traits of another showing. Case in point is the 48 - 53 chevy pickups. There are a lot of them registered in shows as "48's when they are questionable. Mine for instance will be mostly '48 but the doors will say something different.

Barry
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

i've heard of used car dealer tricks too, but this was a New Car Dealers. and theres some older members on here, that know of or heard of the bon ami (comet) trick this was the GM Solution, not to mention it was on the discovery or history channel, and I think it worked. but changing the yrs on the title so if you bought a new 1951 in 1952 title said 1952.

Mustangsaly
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

they had a recall on some Buick Nailhead v8s back way way before I was around, since the rings wouldnt seat and they'd burn oil (never ending break in period I guess) and they put bon ami down the carb.

I've also heard pepper is a lot les expensive alternative to the 'fix a radiator leak in a bottle' stuff.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM

My dad used to sell MG's in the late 60's and British Leyland told the dealers to tell the customers they could title the year it was made or the year it was sold on the model holdovers. I don't think this could happen again, with the EPA being invoved now.

Doug
Old 10-26-2005, 08:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

what year is this

Some of this "wrong year stuff" is from the owner, not the seller. Hot rod Nats recognize only 1948 and older, so if it is the same body as a 48, but its a later year, get it changed and have an "official" hot rod. Also a trick on stolen cars. Say you have a mid 60's corvette with no vin tag. The last digits of the serial number are stamped in the frame. Create the first part of the serial number (year, body style, etc.) and put it in front of the serial numbers. Run a check thru DMV, if it doesn't come up as stolen (because it's a 64 and you ran it as a 65) you can get a replacement/rebuilt title. If it's got parts from different years, and the vin tag has been replaced, I'd walk away. There is also the legit reason. body shops that do insurance rebuilds take 2 cars and piece them together. They use the title that matches the vin, but a lot of the car/truck/van could be a different year. I've seen the entire body except the hood and front fenders and A pillars grafted in an SUV rebuild. When I saw the finished truck, and a price at half of blue book, it looked like a deal for seller and buyer. all of this just supports the idea of buying cars with "matching numbers" .
Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Vin

Doc here,

States vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction..

In California, They go by the year of the body (VIN on the title)

If you have no title, you must present bills of sale for the major parts...Frame , Body , Engine...

Then you must present the car for DMV VIN inspection, an official will inspect the car for numbers, and if it's missing a VIN plate, you must go to the CHP garage..and leave the car.

They will go over it with a fine tooth comb and extract the numbers and report to DMV, who , then will title the car..If it's clear.

If your applying for a new VIN (none ever issued) Then the inspection is much more critical...They will extract all the numbers, and then safety Inspect every inch of the car (right down to the PN's on the lighting system) To verify they are DOT approved parts, Then they will issue AND install a VIN plate.

If you go this route, DMV treats it as a "SPCNS" Specially Constructed Vehicle...AND then you must meet all 2005 safety and emissions regulations..This only applies to vehicles like sandrails and the like built at home..

Something to try, If you DO have a VIN number, take that to DMV , and have them run it for the last owner of record, (If your a titled state) then contact him/her and have them fill out an application for lost title form, and submit that..Here, they will issue a new title on that basis.

Good luck!
Red tape sucks...

Doc
Old 10-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

My old Chevy is clearly a 1951 model, the registration lists a 1950, I investigated it and it is an early '51 actully sold in the 1950 model year, so it was listed and registered as a '50
Old 10-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project
Last photo:

Until 1975 heavy trucks were titled with the year they were sold in. In 1975 they first came out with the anti-lock brakes for heavy trucks and that was when they were forced to title by year of manufacture.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

TItles

Doc here,

In California, DMV has always titled by year and reflect it as so on the title and registration card:

Year First sold: 00/00/56 ...Make: Chev.....BodyType: CP... Class Vehicle : MP.....VIN: 1234567abcd...Plate Number: 1ABC2345

And they go by the date on the BUILD order...My 1980 Corvette was ordered in September 1980 From Saint Louis...The car was finished (in the mid's of the factory move) in Bowling green...(they didn't produce NEW line cars until Late 81 for 82..) But title shows 1980...

Mine has been registered since new each year in September..although the delivery date wasn't until early/mid 81...

Each state has it's own regulations on title requirements..some don't even title at all...Check to see what yours is at your local DMV website...and comply with those regs.

Doc

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.