What diameter exhaust pipe to use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What diameter exhaust pipe to use

Hello everyone. I have a question in regards to what inside diameter exhaust pipe to use. As you probably know, I just put my rebuilt 350 in a '81 El Camino. It already had dual exhaust on the motor that I took out. I have left most of that exhaust system intack. In other words, it is still attached to the car with the exception to the exhaust manifolds which are removed. I have dynomax headers which I believe are 1 5/8 diamter. I am thinking about just attaching the existing exhaust to my headers with a crossover pipe--to equalize bank pressure-- right after the headers. I think he has cherry bombs on this thing also. To my questions; what diameter exhaust pipe should I be using with the headers I have? How far back should I put the crossover pipe? Should I remove the cherry bombs?
As always, thanks for any and all responses, advice, etc.
rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I would go with a 2.5" dual exhaust system. Put the crossover pipe just behind the transmission tail housing. i would ditch the loud, (pull me over) restrictive, power robbing red neck cherry bomb mufflers for some 3 chamber "turbo style" 2.5" in/out hi flow mufflers mounted in front of the rear axle on either side of the drive shaft.
With full tail pipes over the rear axle, exiting at the bumper.
Consider the Dyno Max Super Turbos. If catalytic converters are required use 2.5" Carsound" ( Magnaflow) small case converters installed as close to the headers as practical. Even if you have to move the crossover pipe back a little bit. These hi flow cat converters will not hurt the engines power at all and the emissions fuzz will leave you alone.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
I would go with a 2.5" dual exhaust system. Put the crossover pipe just behind the transmission tail housing. i would ditch the loud, (pull me over) restrictive, power robbing red neck cherry bomb mufflers for some 3 chamber "turbo style" 2.5" in/out hi flow mufflers mounted in front of the rear axle on either side of the drive shaft.
With full tail pipes over the rear axle, exiting at the bumper.
Consider the Dyno Max Super Turbos. If catalytic converters are required use 2.5" Carsound" ( Magnaflow) small case converters installed as close to the headers as practical. Even if you have to move the crossover pipe back a little bit. These hi flow cat converters will not hurt the engines power at all and the emissions fuzz will leave you alone.

Hi newdad,
F-Bird has it right, that set-up would be perfect.
Take care,
rich
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
i would ditch the loud, (pull me over) restrictive, power robbing red neck cherry bomb mufflers
Redneck!!!! Theres nothin better than a set of those and a rattle can black paint job and some nascar apparel. Why I'm thinkin on gettin the brush out and puttin ole #3 on my dodge neon right now. lol
Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Thanks for getting back with the responses to my questions so quick.
Ok, that sounds good, but what is the best way to go from a 1 5/8 inch diameter header to a 2.5" exhaust system?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

If it's stock, likely whatever system you have will be adequate since it sounds like it's already duals. The crossover is an excellent idea. I consider one of these, or it's more modern cousin the X-pipe, a necessity in any dual system. Every time I've added either to any existing dual system, the difference in torque and response was immediately evident. And of course there's solid science to back that up.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I'll third the use of dynomax super turbos. Can't beat em for the price for the quality and the sound.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi newdad,
Only the primaries are 1 5/8" they
then go into a collector usually 3"
then you have a reducer that bolts to the
collectors, & are welded to the exhaust pipe.
rich
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I dont see how that the cherrybombs are power robbing there perforated not louvered core ...the x pipe will quieten you down a bit also
Shane
Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
I dont see how that the cherrybombs are power robbing there perforated not louvered core ...the x pipe will quieten you down a bit also
Shane
Shane Don't mean to insult ya and I hope you take this with the jokeing friendly intent but soon as I checked your location, It became all clear to me.
The cherry bomb mufflers seem like they would be un restrictive since they are real loud and you can see right through the core. but they actually are quite restrictive compared to a three way turbo chambered style muffler. they don;t flow air near as well. The louvers hanging in the airflow path really kick up a lot of air turbelence. not your best choice.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Diameter pipe

I like the advice F-Bird'88 gave you except the catalytic converters should be as close to the engine as possible. They don't work properly unless they're hot and the further back they are the cooler they run.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Shane Don't mean to insult ya and I hope you take this with the jokeing friendly intent but soon as I checked your location, It became all clear to me.
The cherry bomb mufflers seem like they would be un restrictive since they are real loud and you can see right through the core. but they actually are quite restrictive compared to a three way turbo chambered style muffler. they don;t flow air near as well. The louvers hanging in the airflow path really kick up a lot of air turbelence. not your best choice.
No problem bout the location I'm a redneck but did cherrybomb go back to louvered core? there supposed to be perforated ......I'm not running them so I dont know I'm running a set of chambered mufflers that I built(flow a heckof a lot better than the "glasspacks"that I tookoff they were in reality twin tube baffled louverd core mufflers with no packing...they are now straight through with no tubes or packing just waitin on the right thing to put them on)
Shane
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

I have a 2 1/2" system with dynomax mufflers and 4" chrome tips and stock manifolds it works very well. Its a little on the load side but i like it that way.

after i install the 528 big block which has a set hooker supercomp tuned headers 1 7/8 primaries 3" collectors which i selected this due to clearance issues if i could i would go bigger. Im considering a 3" custom system with cross over.

not sure how much i will benefit from changing over but i am trying to squeeze every once out the combination i can.

the car its going in is fairly heavy and my goal is to go as fast as i possibly can in a street car on my budget.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Do the conical perforations protrude to the inside of the flow pipe or to the outside? And what's the inside diameter of the flow pipe itself?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Heres what I'm running picture not to scale got the metal for free couple bucks worth of migwire and $4 can of ceramic paint
14 x 9 1/2 x 3 case front baffles are 2 1/2 v baffle is 4inch on each side and rear baffles are 3 1/2 IIRC

Shane

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.