What did i do to my T-350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What did i do to my T-350

I am running a th350 behind a small block and it sees mostly track time. I know that a glide or 400 would be stronger but its what I have and I'll have to run it for now. My selector shaft seal and pan gasket was leaking so I changed them both. I had a hard time getting the seal out because I didn't have much room to work. I ended up taking out some of the internal linkage.
Long story short, I must have got something back together wrong. It shifts fine but if you shift into neutral, I have a hard time getting it back into any gear (forward or reverse). It acts like a transmission does when its low on fluid. If you rev it up, it will lurch into gear as it idles back down. Fluid level is fine. I DID find some metal shavings in the pan so I cleaned it out and put in a new filter in hopes that it was just casting flash that may have broke off and made it into the pan. The transmission shifts nice and firm and don't seem to slip. Im hoping to get through the rest of the year with it and pull it and the motor out over the winter to freshen it up.
Have I got something back together wrong? (didn't have any extra parts!) Could I have moved the shifter cable enough when I removed it that I needs adjusted? (I just removed the whole bracket with the cable so don't think it moved any). Sorry if I didn't give enough info. Thanks in advance!
D

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM

Anyone?!? Transmission guys? Hello... Is this thing on?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

I'll take a stab at it. There's not a lot to mess up on the shift linkage on a TH 350 internally. Internally, all that happens is engagement / disengagement of the park pawl and movement of a spool valve in the valve body to direct fluid pressure for each gear selection. I would first completely disconnect shift linkage at transmission. Grab on to the linkage at the tranny and run it thru all gears starting at Park to R to N to 3 to 2 to 1. Of course, do all this without engine running. There should be definite clicks or detents into each position. If you don't, drop pan an investigate internal linkage. If that checks out, Put trans in Park and put shifter in Park. The shift linkage connection to the trans linkage should line up perfectly. If not, your linkage mount may be wrong or adjustment is wrong or something. Once you get Park all lined up, connect linkage and put shifter all the way to 1 position. Then disconnect shift linkage at tranny and make sure tranny is truly in 1 gear and linkage lines up perfectly. If that checks out, the linkage set up is good. I've seen aftermarket shifters and cables sometimes interfere with trans cross members, trans housings, exhaust parts or E-brake cables. The trans linkage has to work smoothly through out it's travel from Park to 1. Same with the throttle kick down linkage or cable. If all this checks out and you still have problems, the chips in bottom of pan indicate lot more serious internal trans problems. Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I watched the shifts while I had my wife run through the gears and everything seemed to be working right. I think Im going to try adjusting on the shift cable and see if that will work. Im hoping to get a few more races out of it then I plan on pulling the engine and trans and freshen up over the winter.

Thanks again
D

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.