What did I fry...? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What did I fry...?

Trying to get the project running, 1965 Chevy C10... Took out the old worn out 305 and installed a fresher 327. The problem started when I tried to fire up the motor for the 1st. time. Turned the ignition switch and nothing... I had dash lights and other power, but the starter would not engage. I jumped under and started looking for problems. Made the mistake of my wrench touching the live power wire for the starter. Couple of small sparks and a few foul words. Went back to try again and now nothing. No lights on the dash, headlights, no power at all anywhere... I am hoping just a fuse somewhere and not something more serious. Any ideas where to look or what to check...? I looked at the fuse panel, but didn't see anything that looked blown. So, my problem went from a non-working starter, to no power to anything... Had the starter wired to the leg on the outside away from the block. I belive I need to move the smaller wire to the leg on the inside, toward the block...?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

BTDT.. you fried a fusible link
Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

This may give you some points to check>> http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml
Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 AM

I don't know where the fusible links are on a '65, but on my '75 there is one at the starter end of the main power feed and one at the end where it connects to a junction on the firewall. On newer trucks they use a 14 gauge fusible link, which protects a 10 gauge power feed wire (usually an orange/red colored wire). The fusible link can burn out internally and the external damage may only look like bubbled insulation. The fusible end is replaceable, by splicing on a a fusible link you can buy at most any parts store (display card will call it a GM fusible link).

There are three terminals on the starter.
- The large lug is where the battery power connects, along with the main power feed wire, and the charge wire for the alternator (the starter lug is used as a power junction point). The fusible end of the OEM power feed and charge wires usually have a plastic bullet-like collar a few inches from the end.
- The R terminal is where you connect the full power wire for a points distributor. This provides full power to the points (no resistor) when cranking, to make it easier to start. If you have switched to HEI there will not be a wire on this terminal.
- The S terminal has a small wire that runs up to the ignition switch to activate the starter. It will not have the plastic end collar like the charge wires, and is usually a smaller gauge. I think the stock wire color is purple.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

No fusible links on a 65....You answered your own question....The "S" wire goes on the terminal closest to the engine block.

If you are still running points, there is a wire that also goes from there up to the coil, so it has 12 volts while cranking.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Got it going... The wire that connects from the starter to the harness had what seemed like some sort of fusible link... I'm not sure if it was bad or or not. Didn't look correct, so I cut it out and soldered in a new eyelet and moved the wire from the "R" lug over to the "S" lug. Installed the power wire for the starter and connected the battery. Got out the test light and began checking things... Everything seemed to have power. So, I went and turned on the ignition key and everything worked... Beats me, but I guess that the wire from the starter to the harness had some sort of link or something that was shorted. Or, just moving the starter wire from the "R" terminal to the "S" terminal solved the problem.... A round of thanks to all that helped... I am truly appreciative....

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.