Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What did you drive
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I owned a number of rods and projects in high school but this was my daily driver. 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 with a 312 Thunderbird engine. I put in the tube grill, had it painted Honduras Maroon, black and white rolled and pleated interior and a "California Rake" resulting from chopping out a coil and a half.

I bought the car at age 15 in 1961 and paid $1,100 for it (less $500 for the '55 Plymouth I traded in on it.). Below is the Bill of Sale for the car. Note that it had to have my dad's name on it because I was not only under age...I didn't even have a driver's license yet.

I got a loan from the local bank (with dad's co-signature) and paid it off working on my dad's farm for the tidy sum of $20 a week.

And here I am with the '55 Plymouth I bought at age 14 and traded in on the '57.

And a couple of my high school hot rods.

I put a '53 Chrysler 331 Hemi in this 1952 Ford. The '52 cost me $20 and the Chrysler cost me $35 (a neighbor had totaled it in a rollover). Even with the JC Whitney motor mounts I had less than $200 in the car.

I started this glass T-Bucket in high school but didn't get it on the road until I was in college. Had a '55 Buick nailhead and a very rare Buick three speed trans.