Hot Rod Forum banner

What did you drive

38K views 228 replies 71 participants last post by  MRTS33 
#1 ·
For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?

#177 ·
35terraplane said:
Garrell I have sent hundreds of cars to the crusher. I started working in a junk yard when I was 12 years old, my job cutting up cars. Back in the 50's every car I cut up could have been a hot rod. the ones with the super nice bodies I would set aside but the rest some with just minor damage I would cut up. As you well know a lot of the people had to keep their cars during the war unless they got a used one. so after the war there was a lot of old cars junked. Old cars back then were cars from the 30's and 40's, and the place I worked had a lot of 20's cars. :D :cool: :thumbup:

Bob
BOB! You rotten piece of crap, I am never going to talk to you again! :p

Brian

#179 ·
What did

You know the hotrod movement was just getting started good in the early 50's plus a pent up demand for new cars and trucks by American public after new autos started coming off the assembly lines created lots of trade ins so the old coupes and sedans were abundant. Think about how many of the classics were destroyed on stock car tracks all over the country, every little town and community had a track. So the two of you alone were not responsible for making the little deuce coupe an endangered species!

Garrell

#182 ·
garrell.770 said:
For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?
:welcome:
im going to reply even though i graduated 2010

my "first car" wasn't my car it was my mothers car and it was a 1989 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. five speed. with a whopping 52horses. 0-60 in 10 mins. Family car? yes. Hotrod or muscle? no. street race? mother drifted kinda. got a $1000 for it. i didnt have my DL only had my permit soooo. . . mother had to ride with me but i was still the coolest person there. :p :thumbup:

#183 ·
My first real car and still my first car is a 1967 Ford Falcon Futura I6 200 with C4 three speed tranny. with incredible Ford blue interior. paid $650. got it my first qtr. of college. raced it? no. . . spun the tires in mud with a little bit of drift? YES! ran fine, went from a six banger , to a five banger, to a four banger than down to two 0-60 in 15-20 mins 25 gals of gas gone in an hour(and no gas wasn't cheap (3.50-4 a gal)). and here i am today working it. . . Good Times, Good Times.

#184 ·
You have got an entire lifetime of hotrodding ahead of you, while you can't buy vintage Corvettes and muscle cars for $800.00 to $1,500.00 like I did you will also make more than $45.00 per week. There have been lots of cars that perform well and respond to tuneups and non invasive performance work like the Camaros and Mustangs from the mid 80's until present. Just don't get away from the lifestyle we old guys want to see the hobby and tradition continue on.

Garrell

#185 ·
killerformula said:

Dodge Ramcharger, 87 was my high school truck. Rebuilt the motor put a roller cam in it and magnum heads, MSD ignition, headers and duels. Moved out pretty good, sounded mean. Had it off road quite a bit. Shouldn't have sold it.

K
it has been very difficult to find quality parts for these machines ,keep any if you find something even if the part is of a different brand or make.

You may help someone out in a bind or your self.

#186 ·
what did you drive

I have a friend who is building a 70 Roadrunner for a customer right now, some reproduction parts are available and some are not. They are searching the country over to find misc. parts. It looks and sounds like you had a nice hotrod in school.

Garrell

#187 ·
garrell.770 said:
You have got an entire lifetime of hotrodding ahead of you, while you can't buy vintage Corvettes and muscle cars for $800.00 to $1,500.00 like I did you will also make more than $45.00 per week. There have been lots of cars that perform well and respond to tuneups and non invasive performance work like the Camaros and Mustangs from the mid 80's until present. Just don't get away from the lifestyle we old guys want to see the hobby and tradition continue on.

Garrell
I think I'd rather make 445 a week and have things back the way they were. I make a lot more money now than in the 70's, and still can't own 10% of what I had then

#189 ·
garrell.770 said:
My Wife says in the early 70's our phone bill was around $2.50 and groceries about $7.00 to $10.00, that was why a pretty nice 57 chevy could be purchased for $400.00.

Garrell
So, you could buy that 57 with 9 weeks pay @ $45 a week. Try that now. You'd have to make $3500-$4K a week :mad: . Thank God I got into this in 1970. I would've never been able to have all the cool cars if I started in the past 10 or so years

#190 ·
What did you drive.

Groucho said:
So, you could buy that 57 with 9 weeks pay @ $45 a week. Try that now. You'd have to make $3500-$4K a week :mad: . Thank God I got into this in 1970. I would've never been able to have all the cool cars if I started in the past 10 or so years
In 1968 I bought a new 440 Charger R/T, and I think I was making just under $3.00 an hour. Traded in a 63 Chev 409/425 HP S/S. The price on the Charger was $3800.00 With the trade in I paid cash for the difference.

Bob

#192 ·
What

One of the biggest sins I ever committed was straying away from buying a new Chevy SS 396 Chevelle to buy a new Dodge Challenger RT Magnum. I was driving a 69 Plymouth Satellite for my Brother in laws Dodge/Plymouth dealership on all of the southeast dragstrips. I saw the burnt orange Challenger on the top of a carrier truck and I gave in to temptation. Fully loaded and would run 150 mph for $4,000.00.

Garrell

#193 ·
lt1silverhawk said:
You owned a GM product? :mwink:
I had two, the 63 I bought when I got out of the service, the 425hp kind of got me, then I took a 53 chev p/u on part trade for a 37 Ford. " Wings Kallahan" who's a good friend of mine, (HE has a national radio show, and does all the radio work for NSRA and a lot of the world of wheels shows, and Btt50's.) anyhow he wanted to buy it as he is all chevy. but he wouldn't pay my price, so I told him I would let it sit outside and rust away, he did pay my price. :D :thumbup:

Those are the only two gm cars I have owned and driven, I did build 3 49/51 chevys to sell.

Bob.

#194 ·
35terraplane said:
" Wings Kallahan" who's a good friend of mine, (HE has a national radio show, and does all the radio work for NSRA and a lot of the world of wheels shows, and Btt50's.) anyhow he wanted to buy it as he is all chevy. but he wouldn't pay my price, so I told him I would let it sit outside and rust away, he did pay my price. :D :thumbup:
That's genius! :D :cool: I'll have to remember that if ever put up the '77 truck for sale. Oh wait, it already is rusting away... :(

#195 ·
What

Bob, if you have only owned five GM cars and one Mopar that we know of you must have almost been walking most of your life. I can't believe you traded a 409 Impala for anything but another Chevy, but I am kind of prejudiced. I traded my 409 for a new 93 Silverado Indy Pace Truck because I needed a new trucked and I never kept anything very long, variety is the spice of life.
Just messing with you, everyone has different taste and if everyone drove the same car they would get kind of boring and there would never been the pony car wars. Think what a NASCAR race would be like, all of the cars would be shaped like and look alike,OH they are that way now aren't they!
Anyway at least you didn't drive one of those Mustangs.

Anonimus, ah heck not me

#197 ·
garrell.770 said:
Bob, if you have only owned five GM cars and one Mopar that we know of you must have almost been walking most of your life. I can't believe you traded a 409 Impala for anything but another Chevy, but I am kind of prejudiced. I traded my 409 for a new 93 Silverado Indy Pace Truck because I needed a new trucked and I never kept anything very long, variety is the spice of life.
Just messing with you, everyone has different taste and if everyone drove the same car they would get kind of boring and there would never been the pony car wars. Think what a NASCAR race would be like, all of the cars would be shaped like and look alike,OH they are that way now aren't they!
Anyway at least you didn't drive one of those Mustangs.

Anonimus, ah heck not me
Well if you would like to know, I traded my 409 in on a much faster 440 R/T Charger. Being we were sponsored by Plymouth in drag racing, a pro-stock Duster, it was good to drive at least a brand close to them. After that I don't think they made any thing besides Ford. :D :cool: :thumbup:

The CHevy's well let's just call that a "momentary lapse of reason". :rolleyes: :mwink: :thumbup:

Bob

#201 ·
lt1silverhawk said:
At five Chevys, you've had a few moments then. :D
Hawk Two I never even drove I just built them for someone else, the other I test drove it and sent it on it's way.

Chevy's are good in there place, they just haven't found it yet. :sweat: :sweat: Should get somebody to spit up their beer.

garlle Don't get your shorts in a bundle, Hawk and I get along just fine. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.