Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What did you drive
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Garrell - all the best to you, your family, and especially your Dad.

True story about my first car. My Dad bought me a Falcon Futura when I was still 15, it had a bad transmission, so while I finished "learning" to drive my Dad taught me how to repair the transmission. As soon as I turned 16, went to the DMV and got my license, on the following Monday I was allowed to drive to summer school to take my Drivers Ed class, with strict instructions to only drive straight to school and back.

Of course, being smarter than my britches, I decided a short detour past my buddies' houses was necessary to show off. While practicing my power slides on some of the back alley dirt roads I managed to destroy a universal joint and dropped the drive shaft. I managed to stick it back in place and limped around the corner and onto paved road before it fell out again.

I was stuck and the only thing I could do was call my Dad to come and get me; worse yet, I was on the wrong side of town since the school was to the west of home and I had gone east.
My Dad showed up and though he didn't look happy, nothing was said about where I was or what I had been doing. We towed the car home, I borrowed my Mom's car to go to school and later my Dad helped me fix the U-joint and put me back on the road.

I know we all think we have the best Dad in the world, and for the most part it's true. I know the worst times of my life were those times when I could see disappointment in my Dad's face, which fortunately for me, my Dad rarely let show. I miss my Dad now, but every day I find a part of him in my character that I really need, especially when dealing with my kids.