What did you drive - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
I LOVED the gas crisis. I got to own cars I only dreamt about. My job and girlfriend were so close, I hardly used any gas. BUT, at age 18, in 1974, I could buy my 1st of many Corvettes. A flared 64 roadster with a fresh 365HP 327 for $775
My Uncle owned a gas station at that time. It was crazy, the car dealers were just about giving away big cars. I remember driving him to pickup a 1 year old Olds delta 88 he bought for 2K. Thing was a tank. He kept it for many years.
Those were the days that got Toyota and Honda really moving. The American companies tried but they were coming out with stuff like the Pinto and Vega which didn't compare.

Advertisement

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

good thread,,,

Back in the day just after high school I got my first "nice" car a 70 torino cobra with 429scj, drag pak, locker 4:30's, 4 spd etc. Being that we have only about 4 months of good driving up here north of 49 we would park our good car and look for a "beater" for the winter.

Hats off to all of the nice cars but man I would have never survived if it were not for the beaters! They were all around and for less than 500 bucks you could drive all winter and then just leave it on the street come spring, take the plates off and the beer out of the trunk and most likely the battery and just leave it there and go plate the hot rod again. Beaters i can remember:

68 belair, 74 Biscayne, 76 impala, 65 merc, Gremlin X, 75 F100, guess my first two units in high school were beaters too 71 skylark & 68 Merc truck and yeah everyone has 100 stories or more attached
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
I LOVED the gas crisis. I got to own cars I only dreamt about. My job and girlfriend were so close, I hardly used any gas. BUT, at age 18, in 1974, I could buy my 1st of many Corvettes. A flared 64 roadster with a fresh 365HP 327 for $775
WOW, I am older, and by '74 I was buying and selling collector Chevys on the side. I went through about 17-18 Corvettes... and for $775...you STOLE that one! :-)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Never was into the Muscle Car thing-----Well, Muscle Cars as most of you know them.

I have always been a bit partial luxury with "Wheaties".

I do really dig my little microtruck 65 Ranchero with the Hi Perf 289 and 4 spd (Factory), but have always liked the bigger cars.

1st car:
I was 14-16---14 when I bought it----almost 16 when the car was killed by a drunk while parked downtown.

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT, was a 440-6 car, and was a total blast.
Only giveaway that car was special was the little white stripe down the side, and the little square black badge on the trunk (that said GT).
Just recently found out that there were only about 75 of these cars built with the 440-6

I was lucky enough to have an unrestricted and nighttime drivers license at 14, because I had a full time job at a newspaper. I actually ran the presses and everything else related to the presses. This was at a morning newspaper so I was working at night. The local authorities and a judge took me thru the process of getting all restrictions off my license.

Gasoline had just moved up to about 0.60, but would be close to $1.00 by the end of 79.

Inexpensive fuel.
A Hot Rod with many creature comforts
Late nights with Jylene
All was good.

The replacement car was a 73 Plymouth Gran Coupe----not yet 16.
3yo Loaded to the gills Plymouth cost me $2100, and completely spoiled me rotten. Now, if a car does not have tilt or power windows, I pretty much call it a piece of crap

During this spell (74-80) I also acquired a couple of cars that seem to be revered by a lot of people. My "second" cars ended up being
68 Road Runner-----383/4spd
69 GTX----440-4/spd
Fun to drive about occasionally, but really piece of crap cars.

By the time I moved to Arizona----I had just bought my brand new 79 C-10, as I had completely wore out that 73 Gran Coupe (or so I thought---had 140k on it, and I bought it with under 20k). But took with me a pair of 67 Chrysler 300s.
One of these cars was a 440TNT/4spd car. Factory disc, Posi, HD Suspension, and teeny tiny taxicab hubcaps. (can you say SLEEPER??)

One of the 300s was eventually wore out and sold (big mistake)
The other one (the sleeper car) was stolen in the fall of 89.
Still have that 79 Chev----and it does still run, but I have not driven it in over 5 years-----well over 400,000miles on that thing.
It brought me to Texas on my last interstate move in 2001.

Of all the cars I have had to enjoy-----that old Green 67 Chrysler is STILL my all time favorite.

and at Kleen 56----"My first car was 66 Ford Mustang GT with a HiPo 289"

I had a 65 High Performance 289/4-spd Mustang----I thought that car was a blast, this was in the early 90s. Bought it just to piss off the ex-wife .

And now, my little High Performance 289/4-spd 65 Ranchero---it is all the Mustang was and more. My uncle bought it new and left it to me when he passed. Vividly remember riding in it when I was 5-16yr old
Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:

What did you drive to high school

Good stuff guys, I new when i started this thread that almost everyone would have a high school ride storey and i am really interested if you bought the car yourself how did you pay for it. I hate to toot my on horn but i think my exploites hauling moonshine may be the best "how did you pay for it" storey so far. I did not clarify, NO sold drugs in the high school parking lot.

Happy New Year, Garrell
Old 12-26-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.backfalt.fi/indexse

Last journal entry: Torque Converter
Last photo:

My rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?

Im from Finland so i Couldn't really have any cool rides like you guys!

So i started out with a BMW 315 e21 1983 it was slow so i built a m10b20 engine for it. then she was a lot more fun to drive! but sadly i felt the need to get e30 BMW wit the m20 engine then i had a couple of them then got back to the m10 powered cars and bought a 1502 nice Car but got a nice bid on it so i had to sell it then i bought a 635csi Hartge with all the bells and whistles like dogleg gearbox oil cooled rear diff and the fantastic group A Suspension setup! well i bougth my Chevy Nova 1972 fore 4 years ago. then something went wrong and i drive a Volkswagen Polo 90 to work and my better half drives a Opel Omega 2.0 automatic really slow! but i still got the Nova

a little burn out with the 635csi its not a super car but it was a fun car!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX5WC...zphHuCfzqG-942
Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian
Im from Finland so i Couldn't really have any cool rides like you guys!

So i started out with a BMW 315 e21 1983 it was slow so i built a m10b20 engine for it. then she was a lot more fun to drive! but sadly i felt the need to get e30 BMW wit the m20 engine then i had a couple of them then got back to the m10 powered cars and bought a 1502 nice Car but got a nice bid on it so i had to sell it then i bought a 635csi Hartge with all the bells and whistles like dogleg gearbox oil cooled rear diff and the fantastic group A Suspension setup! well i bougth my Chevy Nova 1972 fore 4 years ago. then something went wrong and i drive a Volkswagen Polo 90 to work and my better half drives a Opel Omega 2.0 automatic really slow! but i still got the Nova

a little burn out with the 635csi its not a super car but it was a fun car!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX5WC...zphHuCfzqG-942
It's all relative isn't it? What's cool here or a certain year is totally different somewhere else.

Brian
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Good stuff guys, I new when i started this thread that almost everyone would have a high school ride storey and i am really interested if you bought the car yourself how did you pay for it. I hate to toot my on horn but i think my exploites hauling moonshine may be the best "how did you pay for it" storey so far. I did not clarify, NO sold drugs in the high school parking lot.

Happy New Year, Garrell

I delivered about a hundred newspapers on a Schwinn Varsity, a Schwinn Stingray and a Honda QA50 to buy my truck for $200 in Dec 1974.

Brian
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

My deal was a bit different..My dad was a contractor and his attitude was if i did a mans work I got a mans pay so I worked nights and weekends for him and at times I did some field work for the local farmers as well which taught me farming was not my deal. When I got my license Dad put me on the truck so after school I drove to the lbr yard to pick up material and then made the delivery to the job site and got home in time to go to school. the maybe it was out to the yard to prefab studs and headers and other items for the guys on the job site.

My first car of my own was a 55 T-bird that I just had to have. Did not pay all that much but it really was a worn out piece. Took out the automatic and installed a 3 speed as 4 speeds had not come out yet. pipes and glass packs and welded up the 3rd member, cut a coil in the front, did not have a clue about traction bars so it wheel hopped real bad.

Dad sols that car while I was in Vietnam and I saved my flight and combat pay and ordered a new Mustang sight unseen with a 289 4speed to have when I got home and that was a great car and took me on a lot of adventures..

Sam
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
My deal was a bit different..My dad was a contractor and his attitude was if i did a mans work I got a mans pay so I worked nights and weekends for him and at times I did some field work for the local farmers as well which taught me farming was not my deal. When I got my license Dad put me on the truck so after school I drove to the lbr yard to pick up material and then made the delivery to the job site and got home in time to go to school. the maybe it was out to the yard to prefab studs and headers and other items for the guys on the job site.

My first car of my own was a 55 T-bird that I just had to have. Did not pay all that much but it really was a worn out piece. Took out the automatic and installed a 3 speed as 4 speeds had not come out yet. pipes and glass packs and welded up the 3rd member, cut a coil in the front, did not have a clue about traction bars so it wheel hopped real bad.

Dad sols that car while I was in Vietnam and I saved my flight and combat pay and ordered a new Mustang sight unseen with a 289 4speed to have when I got home and that was a great car and took me on a lot of adventures..

Sam
Man things were different for each of us, holy crap. I was shooting birds with my bb gun while you were in Vietnam.

Brian
Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:

Happy New Year, Garrell
Always worked to support my cars. Started doing auto repairs at 13, simple stuff like brakes, starter and alternator repairs, ball joints etc for the neighbors. Always loved taking stuff apart to figure out how it worked. Worked part time at a fruit stand as well.

Chet
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
It's all relative isn't it? What's cool here or a certain year is totally different somewhere else.

Brian
My opinion is that the American muscle-car culture is the coolest there is!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:

And the award goes to:

If there were awards Scandinaviiun would win the long haul trophy!
Martinsr, did you ever eat fresh bb killed black bird roasted over an open fire?

Most everyone is off work today so send in those rides!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If there were awards Scandinaviiun would win the long haul trophy!
Martinsr, did you ever eat fresh bb killed black bird roasted over an open fire?

Most everyone is off work today so send in those rides!
My curiosity is killing me! wath is a bb gun?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You probably know them as an air rifle or pellet rifle, pneumatic or CO2 operated. Here in the US years ago, getting your first "BB" gun was a rite of passage. For me, the two biggest thrills in my early life was my first BB gun (a brand new Daisy, Christmas of my fifth year) and my first bicycle (a hand-me-down Huffy).

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.