What did you drive - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer69
this is my first car.christmas 1953.
LOL, cool ride with the chicks.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:

What Did You Drive

You got me, I could not wait until I got here to see what ride you would get in 53 and how much it cost!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

What did you drive

I had a fleet of cars before high school and during. My first car I drove was a 27 "T" Roadster, started building it when I was 12 finished when I was 13, with help from the guys in the junk yard where I worked cutting up cars. Didn't dare drive it to school as that was in town and You had to be 15 to drive. We lived in the country. Next was a 34 3w that I had channeled 13" had a olds engine in it. When you worked in a junk yard it was like a candy store for someone that liked cars. I had 6 40 Ford Coupes, one I had twice. and my last one before I went in the Navy was a 39 Mercury coupe.

I never had newer cars, but A lot of the cars I had were just a few years older than me.

Bob
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

what did you drive

Isn't it a shame that hichschoolers of today only know to go to Autoburger for a larger wolftweeter for their rice burner.

Garrell
Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

Most kids today don't know how to make anything anymore ....except our kids of course.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

What did you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
Isn't it a shame that hichschoolers of today only know to go to Autoburger for a larger wolftweeter for their rice burner.

Garrell
We have a saying in MN Street Rod Association, take a kid to a car show. We started putting up a big tent at BTT50's just for the teens to go. if they had cars 64 or older they could park them right there. we really push for the young ones to get to like old cars.

I started this backwards, We have kids games, for the young kids like if they can walk they can play. put them in age groups, use a lot of engine parts as props. we go from there right up to a tractor pull, again, age groups. They use pedal tractors. the winners go from our show to a state one then the Nationals.

So up here in MN in the nice weather, you will see kids driving Hot Rods to school, not rice burners, well you see some ricers. we are trying to keep this sport alive.

So the next time you go to a car show take a kid, who know some day he or she might be driving a 33 Ford 3w and not a Toyota, to school.

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

I didn't get my license until 11th grade (1980). I did drive my parents 1973 Olds 98, my friends thought it was a Caddy The first car I bought was a 1968 Buick LeSaber for $50!!, it did have a smashed RT FT fender though. But it would get a 2nd gear chirp from the tires!! Now I love Pontiac, Buick, Olds
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Quote:
For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?
I was born in 1976. In 1990 I spent $500 I'd earned on a '78 Camaro. I'd been working janitorial at a plastics-recycling-equipment plant where my dad was the manager. The first thing I did was replace the rusty muffler. That car was white with the carmine interior, LG3, 1200-stall, TH350, 2.41:1, and a set of 205/75s on the styled steel 6-window 14x7s. That car did 26 MPG on the interstate. I've had a couple dozen more F-bodies since then.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

what did you drive

Hey folks, we all need to read Bob's post and practise what he suggest. Can you imagine all of us old guys dying off and the hotrod hobby/lifestyle dying with us?

Garrell
Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey folks, we all need to read Bob's post and practise what he suggest. Can you imagine all of us old guys dying off and the hotrod hobby/lifestyle dying with us?

Garrell
I'm not that lazy. I'm helping the neighbor kid build his dad's Firebird. The other kid is looking for a '67-'73 Camaro, and I'm going to be there for them as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

What did you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
I'm not that lazy. I'm helping the neighbor kid build his dad's Firebird. The other kid is looking for a '67-'73 Camaro, and I'm going to be there for them as well.
Whyholdback, That's all well and good but I'm talking about what I call a real hot rod, like cars from the 20's, 30's 40's. They are the cars that are getting lost, those are the cars that the kids have to learn about, that's what we are trying top keep alive.

Muscle cars are great and they are good to show kids but the older cars are what started this all.

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

But they're obsolete, irrelevant, ugly, and out of the financial reach of a teen mowing lawns all summer. They're also not disposable and crash-safe like '80s ponycars. Last and worst, there're not enough rust-free examples to go around. You can't rule out the best cars just because you're so old that your first Christmas was THE first Christmas.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

what did you drive

I am kind of caught in the middle here, I love the old traditional hotrods of the 40's and 50's but they are becoming out of reach financially for a younger genearation in a weak economy. The same goes for the late 60's early 70's muscle cars. As long as we can keep them interested in the car hobby whether it be fifteen years of fox body Mustangs or third or fourth generation Camaros at least maybe they will get hooked and when they become financially successful then will come the thirtys and fourtys classics. I think already 1949 to 1951 fords are the 1940 fords of the past and the tri five chevys are in an entire world of there on, around here a rusted hull will bring $10,000.00 amd nice, not great cars $30,000.00.

Let's just keep them exposed and hope for the best, Garrell
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

What did you drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
But they're obsolete, irrelevant, ugly, and out of the financial reach of a teen mowing lawns all summer. They're also not disposable and crash-safe like '80s ponycars. Last and worst, there're not enough rust-free examples to go around. You can't rule out the best cars just because you're so old that your first Christmas was THE first Christmas.
Garrell, No you are not caught in the middle, you just started the thread, most of the people here have a good idea what Hot Rods are and who car people are. In some cases you will get someone to post that doesn't have a clue about what we are about. Here we have such a case. I have forgot more about Hot Rods, than he will ever know.

I don't know what Jon had in mind when he started the site, but it is named Hot Rodders Bulletin Board, I also don't know what he called a Hot Rod. But a Hot Rod is a car built before 1949, cars after that were customs, then muscle cars up to the early 70's. To me everything else is a DD. JMO.

In my first post I didn't say anything about any cars newer than 64, so he pops off with they are obsolete. Well you tell WR, centerline, Matt37, Dave57210, New Interiors, Bad Rat, Dave w, and all the others that have 48 or older cars, they are obsolete, and I'm very sorry if I didn't put you down, there are many more on here. That's not to say we don't like or have other cars that are newer, but that's what we drive and like.

One reason, they are the Hot Rods, but they have body lines that are stamped on the car, not a hunk of chrome. we can build them the way we like, and not have a cookie cutter car.

So If you don't like the old cars I'm good with that, But you will never get to know what it is to ride in a car that started this hobby. I could say a lot about your truck but I won't. I don't have to like it and I don't have to worry about seeing it at the shows I go to. Maybe when you grow up you might get to understand what these old obsolete cars meant to this country.

Garrell I'm sorry to steal your thread it was going good until we got someone that doesn't under stand us, but maybe he will grow up, lets hope so, the car hobby needs everyone it can get.

Bob

Live like every day is your last, one will.

Last edited by 35terraplane; 01-14-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Last journal entry: Gas heater
Last photo:

My senior year (1978) in Idaho I bought a cherry two tone white top gold body 1958 Chevy Impala.. all stock, all original.. 348 V8 with auto tranny, and 3 deuce setup.... I paid $2500 for it. Sigh. Think I sold it for that too..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.