Hot Rod Forum banner

What did you drive

38K views 228 replies 71 participants last post by  MRTS33 
#1 ·
For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?

#203 ·
35terraplane said:
Hawk Two I never even drove I just built them for someone else, the other I test drove it and sent it on it's way.

Chevy's are good in there place, they just haven't found it yet. :sweat: :sweat: Should get somebody to spit up their beer.

garlle Don't get your shorts in a bundle, Hawk and I get along just fine. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bob
Now where's wretched wratchet when you need him lol! Jokes aside, yes, Bob and I get along just great. :D :thumbup:

#204 ·
Spirited conversation is good brain exercizes, this has been a good stretch of post and I guess I am guilty of trying to ag things on. I appreciate any car or truck that has classic or sleek body lines or handles really well and especially if they go fast. Thanks for all the great post/

Garrell

#205 ·
lt1silverhawk said:
Now where's wretched wratchet when you need him lol! Jokes aside, yes, Bob and I get along just great. :D :thumbup:
Hawk I almost hate to admit this but I forgot two chevies I had. My dad bought me a 53 chevy to drive in the winter, as all I had was a 27 T roadster.

When I was on Guam I bought a 63 vette from a guy that had to come back to the states as he had bone cancer. It was just a roadster with a 327 and a 3speed, I had it a month and a half. But that's it. :sweat: :sweat: :D

Bob

#206 ·
35terraplane said:
Hawk I almost hate to admit this but I forgot two chevies I had. My dad bought me a 53 chevy to drive in the winter, as all I had was a 27 T roadster.

When I was on Guam I bought a 63 vette from a guy that had to come back to the states as he had bone cancer. It was just a roadster with a 327 and a 3speed, I had it a month and a half. But that's it. :sweat: :sweat: :D

Bob
What happens in Guam, stays in Guam... :pimp:

Was your father a GM man, or did he buy you the Chevy as some sort of punishment? :D

#209 ·
garrell.770 said:
Bob, I can't believe that you were on an exotic desert isle and was exposed to the Chevy life style that you weren't hooked for life!

Garrell
Well it was far from exotic, it was not desert, as it hardly had any beach around it. But it was great fishing, with lots of great whites. Living on a hunk of land 36 miles by 4 miles 2000 miles from anywhere when you are 19 or 20 years old, just didn't grab me.

Bob

#210 ·
I was on Guam for about a week a couple of years ago, a trip around (most) of the island took half of an afternoon.

Still, it was tropical, the people were nice, and except for the awful plane rides to Oahu then on to Guam; I would visit there again.

But, I could only imagine having a corvette roadster when I was 19, so no sympathy for that, Bob.

#211 · (Edited)
When I first started racing I raced in Miami.
There were 3 classes
1 street cars(they use to call them Cyclone)
2 The mid division they called (Tornados)
3 Late models
So i built a 55 Chey 2 door(what a waste) it would be worth thousands today
I had to put a 6 in it,The Tornado division only allowed 6 cyls or flathead 8s
The 6 cyl Chevy motor wouldnt keep up with the ford 6s
So i built a 57 Fairlane and dropped a 300 ford 6 in there,the extra xhaust ports did it for me and i started winning races.
When i moved up to late models I built a 65 Chevelle 327 power, i won a lot of races with that car too.
This was Hialeah Speedway circa 1969.
I guess the point of my story is"Whatever wins races" and is cheaper to build!
I just cant remember many V8 Fords winning races in Hialeah
It was a hardtop (asphalt),if my memory serves me right 3/8 mile)
Wonder if its still there?
I just looked it up n it was actually 1/3 mile n closed in 05 ......What a shame!

#212 ·
starnest said:
I was on Guam for about a week a couple of years ago, a trip around (most) of the island took half of an afternoon.

Still, it was tropical, the people were nice, and except for the awful plane rides to Oahu then on to Guam; I would visit there again.

But, I could only imagine having a corvette roadster when I was 19, so no sympathy for that, Bob.
Nice car and nowhere to go.

When I was there there wasn't a road around the Island, as there weren't any villages on the one side.

While I was there we were looking for Japanese soldiers back in 64, never got any but we did find some caves with a fire still going. That's another story but a great one.

Bob

#214 ·
what did you drive

garrell.770 said:
I didn't really think it was an exotic desert isle. As small as it is do you think itha Corvette roadster might still be there?

Garrell
Well unless someone wreck it, it is more than likely there. there were a few old cars still being driven when I was there. Like 40 Fords or old chevy's. The guys would buy them when they got there and sell them to another sailor when they left. The vette I had had just got to the Island, the guy that owned it was in my cube in the barracks. He had a pin in his leg from a car wreck from many years before. From always sleeping in the top bunk, and jumping out he sheared the head off the pin, when he went to have it check they found he had bone cancer around it, so he had to go back to the states. I bought the car about 3 hours before he left, he didn't want to pay shipping to send it back, he told me he would give me a super deal, so I bought it. Sold it to another sailor when I left.

Yea I would say it is still there.

#215 ·
the first few years in high school i rode a 1980's honda xl 185 enduro bike we got for $500, my first car was a 1986 camaro t-top 5 speed v6, it was a pos and always having issues but it looked awesome, the girls loved it, it was pleanty fast for a 16 year old kid, and it started my camaro addiction, lol. once the motor blew up on that i bought a 1984 ninja zx-9a1 and rode that through the first two years of college untill that motor popped, i was working full time the whole time through school working as a cashier at a drug store, field maintaince manager for the city baseball fields, and also buying, selling, and modifying paintball guns (which started my addiciton with flipping anything i can move for profit, currently cars/trucks/bikes)

#216 ·
what did you drive

My Wife says I would sell anything including her, she doesn't understand when I get a nice car or truck that I really like why I sell it when someone makes a lucrative offer for it. The fun is looking for somthing else that really catches your eye and performing whatever it needs to improve it.

Garrell

#217 ·
garrell.770 said:
My Wife says I would sell anything including her, she doesn't understand when I get a nice car or truck that I really like why I sell it when someone makes a lucrative offer for it. The fun is looking for somthing else that really catches your eye and performing whatever it needs to improve it.Garrell

It sounds like we had similar habits! From about '66 to '85 I would buy a car... build it... and already have the next project waiting beside the garage. It got a little out of control, and by about 1983 I usually had 4-5 projects in the back yard.

I came to the conclusion that I was a better "builder" than an "owner"! I sold the projects... sold my last restored 409 car to finance the opening... went full time with the custom painting... and never looked back! No regrets! :)

#218 ·
Does sound similar, I have never had that many projects at one time. I all ways had and have a mental list of cars I desired and when I ran across one I woild trade or negotiate a good price for it. It was usally a fairly clean in good shape auto, I would really detail whatever I had and if it needed some upholstry work or painting I would sub that out to friends in that business. I have never put a for sell sign on a car or advertised one except once. I was always around a dragstrip,car show, speed shop, etc. and one day someone would ask "Would you sell that car". I owned a full fledged Winston Cup race car just because I wanted one, had a cup race engine and it sounded good idleing in the shop. When I got ready to sell I put it on Ebay but it did not reach the reserve. A few days after the time ran out a man from Kansas City called and then drove over night to look at it the next day. He walked around it, looked under the hood and then I cranked it. He then walked to his Hummer and got out a bank bag and said you might want to go in and count this. I already knew where there was a Corvette that I wanted.
Only one of us could understand how that makes you feel.

Garrell

#220 ·
Garrell?

Hey Mark,(Colbalt) Is Garrell still with us? It seems ya'll were friends. I hate to be the one asking. I know he had suffered from stroke and related illness. Hell of a guy, trying to set speed records in a P/U truck, while not being able to remember alot of his former hot rods. Anybody know if he is ok?:pain:

#223 ·
Chevy

My first car i bought and paid for my self, i worked all summer and saved 75.00 dollars. It was a 1958 chevrolet biscayne four door wagon. It was 1972 when i bought this car. It has classic magnesium mags. I had the exhaust cut off 12 inches from the manifold and had two mufflers clamped on, i would have stop every few miles and pick the muffler up and put it back on since i couldnt afford to have them welded, that would have cost me five dollars and back then that would fill my tank up with gas, lol. I used to haul about 10 kids back and forth to the beach when we cut school to go surfing, we would take turns putting the mufflers back on. But we always got where we were going and back home. That ole 348 took some serious abuse and never missed a beat. What i do to have that car back.

#224 ·
What did you drive?

Guys you better always be careful for you never know who might be listening!
How is everyone doing, well I hope. Kind of been a bad year for me, I did go landspeed racing last April went through registration on Friday then tech inspection and the drivers meeting. Because I still don't sleep or even go to bed we were going to leave the motel at 4:00 AM on Sat. and get to the pre-stage lanes as soon as the gates opened. About 10:30 on Friday night my Wife called and said my Dad had to be rushed to the hospital in critical condition but they didn't want me to drive all night and if I wanted to stay and run on Sat. they would keep me informed and I thought about getting one run in early but when we got on the road I knew I couldn't do it and we headed home at 4:30 AM.
But after spending about $4,000.00 on my truck and now having around 515 flywheel H.P. I set three more records six weeks ago by changing classes and then moving up in class the only trouble is that I ran slower than I did the year before. The records are mine but the next time someone runs those classes with a fast truck they will set new records. From the seat of the pants through first gear I could tell that I was much faster than the year before and at least six different people stopped and asked as I sat in line to run again and commented on how good and how the fast the truck sounded. It never missed stuttered nothing but it did drop from 6200 RPM'S to 4,000 which I attributed that to a fifteen MPH head wind but I found out last week that I have a bad torque convertor so I would probably ran over 140 MPH!
The only other things new is that I am doing a thriving business bidding on and buying at on line auctions collectable Colt and Smith&Wesson handguns then advertising them in their respective forums and sending quality photographs to collector clients that I have developed and selling them. I research and and see what similar guns have actually sold for and don't let myself get caught up in a bidding frenzy.
On the downside I have had three or maybe four lite strokes this year and my pain level has stepped up considerably in the last year.
How in the world has this old thread hung around so long? It has been a good one I was looking back through it before I made this post and us old guys have owned some really nice old cars.
I will try to make time to visit the site more often, oh last week I cranked the SS RS Indy Pace car Camaro that has been sitting in back of the shop for years and has always been garaged. I have got to install new wheel cylinders and a master cylinder and maybe rebuild the carb. I am going to clean it up a little next week and if someone would step up and volunteer to post a few pictures for me I would like to show it to you.
Remember you never know who is listening and watching!
Garrell

#226 ·
Still Kicking

Ah-Haa, Still Alive and Kicking,Glad to hear from you Garrell.:thumbup:
I always enjoyed your threads. I also enjoy reading about land speed record racing. Want to try it myself, its on my bucket list along with doing some autocross action. Where can I read more about your truck? ECTA? Nolan

Guys you better always be careful for you never know who might be listening!
How is everyone doing, well I hope. Kind of been a bad year for me, I did go landspeed racing last April went through registration on Friday then tech inspection and the drivers meeting. Because I still don't sleep or even go to bed we were going to leave the motel at 4:00 AM on Sat. and get to the pre-stage lanes as soon as the gates opened. About 10:30 on Friday night my Wife called and said my Dad had to be rushed to the hospital in critical condition but they didn't want me to drive all night and if I wanted to stay and run on Sat. they would keep me informed and I thought about getting one run in early but when we got on the road I knew I couldn't do it and we headed home at 4:30 AM.
But after spending about $4,000.00 on my truck and now having around 515 flywheel H.P. I set three more records six weeks ago by changing classes and then moving up in class the only trouble is that I ran slower than I did the year before. The records are mine but the next time someone runs those classes with a fast truck they will set new records. From the seat of the pants through first gear I could tell that I was much faster than the year before and at least six different people stopped and asked as I sat in line to run again and commented on how good and how the fast the truck sounded. It never missed stuttered nothing but it did drop from 6200 RPM'S to 4,000 which I attributed that to a fifteen MPH head wind but I found out last week that I have a bad torque convertor so I would probably ran over 140 MPH!
The only other things new is that I am doing a thriving business bidding on and buying at on line auctions collectable Colt and Smith&Wesson handguns then advertising them in their respective forums and sending quality photographs to collector clients that I have developed and selling them. I research and and see what similar guns have actually sold for and don't let myself get caught up in a bidding frenzy.
On the downside I have had three or maybe four lite strokes this year and my pain level has stepped up considerably in the last year.
How in the world has this old thread hung around so long? It has been a good one I was looking back through it before I made this post and us old guys have owned some really nice old cars.
I will try to make time to visit the site more often, oh last week I cranked the SS RS Indy Pace car Camaro that has been sitting in back of the shop for years and has always been garaged. I have got to install new wheel cylinders and a master cylinder and maybe rebuild the carb. I am going to clean it up a little next week and if someone would step up and volunteer to post a few pictures for me I would like to show it to you.
Remember you never know who is listening and watching!
Garrell

#225 ·
Started high school driving a 53 Plymouth 2 door I traded a lawnmower for - bought a 56 Pontiac - rebuilt the motor - 50$ car - sold it - bought a 61 Falcon -$300 - put a 260 v 8 in it - bought a 71 Plymouth Scamp my senior year - raced it in Spokane Wa. then went into the Navy - raced at Orange County in Ca. - Jaxx

#227 ·
What Did We Drive

Hey Nolan, good to hear from you and all you guys. I was reviewing my post of Saturday in order to remember what I said and I realized that I didn't tell you that Dad was a three time decorated for bravery above an beyond .30 cal. machine gunner with the 10TH Mountain Division in Italy and Germany during WW11. He fought hard but lost his last battle on Friday of Memorial Day weekend and was buried on that Sunday with full military honors.
The E.C.T.A. has a class for anything on two or four wheels. In Sept. there were cars and motorcycles running as fast as 230 mph in a standing mile and electric and small cc gasoline engines running as slow as 70 mph. I met a delightful 74 year old gentleman that had just come from Bonneville where he blasted the 36 HP Volkswagen class wide open at I think 110 MPH and change and reset the class he was running at the Ohio Mile by over 8 MPH and the little VW was trick with a full 8 point cage a very sophisticated suspension system. But anyway they are very safety oriented and the level of safety measures increases along with speed but these guys are grassroot racer just as was on the drylakes and on the salt 80 to 90 years ago.
Best bet is to go to Welcome to Landracing.com then they have forums for every landspeed racing in the U.S.Of A.. then you can go to the E.C.T.A. and find links for records, speeds and one for documents plus $10.00 you can get a rule book which list all the records classes safety requirements.
A publication that not everyone is familiar with The Bonneville Racing News which covers every venue in the world is rumored to be doing a feature article with a story of survival, recovery, setting goals and having the inspiration of faith, family and through dedication the fortitude to accomplish them sometime this winter. Wonder who it could be about, but some big news might break and they cut it down to a byline. Poncho62 has volunteered to post some pictures for me I guess under this thread of the mint Indy Pace car I cranked last week and should have it on the road within a month and I will throw in a couple of my SS Silverado which I have made some cosmetic changes to as well as go fast goodies.
I am also trying to comeup with a new idea for a thread and when I do don't hesitate to let me if it has been done before.
Till then,
Garrell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.