What did you drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What did you drive

For those of us that were in highschool from 2000 to waay back: What did you drive and was it your ride or the family car? It was your's how did you pay for and how much did it cost? Was it a hotrod/muscle car, did you modify or "hop it up"? Did you carry it to a dragstrip or street race it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I wish.

I had to ride around on my "stock" skateboard.
It was demeaning for sure so I dropped out of high school, got a job and bought my a nice 75 Montego.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I drove a 66 GMC pickup in Highschool. Shortly after I fuel injected it. Was the vehicle that really got me into modding cars.

It was mine. I was going to school abroad half-way through highschool (15 years old at the time), and took the summer months to work at an ecommerce company doing graphic design. Told my dad I was coming home with cash in hand and to start looking for a pickup.

It costs $3500.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

High school car was a 63 Falcon ragtop....6 cyl, 3 speed ..

.Had to do until I got out and got a real job. then muscle cars...

Then, came wife and kids......but always had something to work on....

Budget RVs
Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

I had a 73 pontiac ventura 6cyl and a powerglide

the best part was, I had alum. dish mags on one side
and appliance chrome five spokes on the other side of the car

you can only see one side at a time, right?
once a week, somebody would ask me if I got new wheels
after a while I got tired of explaining, so I would just say, yep
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

My first car was a black Falcon Futura with red bucket seats.

After I moved to VA, for my senior year I had a 69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe, Cortez Silver with black bench seat. Added SS rims and hijackers.

Paid for both flippin burgs at McDs.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Cool rides guys...first car in high school a 71 skylark that had a leaking trans and bad bands in th350, i had to put a ice cream pail under the trans while parked then dump it in before I could go, eventually the trans gave out,,,except for reverse, drove it home one night that way for the last time.

then a 68 merc truck that i would leave in the high school parking lot with the keys in it so other people could jump in and run it to warm up and have a smoke during winter,,,yeah it really was HIGH school for some

wish i had the pics of all of them,,,
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

My 1st car was a 57 Chevy 4 door wagon. I was 14-15 when I bought it in the early 70's for $20. The $20 was lunch money that I'd put in a jar on the living room TV on my way out the door for school. This way I couldn't spend it on lunch no matter how hungry I got at school. It was pretty damn clean, ran, but smoked real bad. I rebuilt the motor in High School auto shop for just over $100. Since then I've owned about 600 vehicles of interest (Vettes, Surfer Vans, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04324.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	60935   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04325.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	60936  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

my highschool rides

I will not go into long details again about my on going recovery from a heart attack followed by three strokes with resulting significient memory loss, but most everything i tell you about my cars comes from my younger brother, sister and my wife. my first car was a black, one owner 1953 chevy 6 cyl., 3 speed. i shaved the head and ran a straight pipe exhaust. i grew up on a farm where my younger brother and I had to work hard at a young age, we were allowed to tote canilopes and watermellons up a long hill in sacks and sell a percentage of them at a roadside stand. The cost of the 53 was $250.00, but after that things took off, i got a job at an old fashioned service station in the summer after my sophmore year at $29.oo per week for afternoon until 9:00 pm, and 12 hour days on the week end. I new a lot about cars and made numerous trades without assistance from my dad. Keep in mind this was a time when people did not drive long distances for work or pleasure and used cars usually were clean and low mileage rides . Here goes, traded 53 chevy for, 1957 2 door post, 283 ci, chevy, blowed the motor street racing. it was a super nice car and i know it is unbelievable but i sold it to Dyno Don Nicholson from dragracing fame. In my junior year i bought a black 1959 ford galaxy with a 352 ci. engines and was evidently very fast, then i started to hall moonshine from the west ga. area ro phoenix city, ala. no one knows exactly how much i made but it was more than i could explain by working at a service station. i started hanging out at a local pool hall ang gambling with the big boys, professional gamblers, sometimes winning but most of the time losing. I went back to my every afternoon and weekends at the service station and i traded the 59 ford for a mint, two top, 1959 Austin Healy 100-6 red in color. a local young attorney wanted the Healy for his wife and started stopping by the station and making offers until it became so lucrative i sold it to him far an unheard some of $1100.00. To finish out highscool i bought the most beautiful, red and white, low mile 1956 2 door post 1956 chevy. Again i blowed the 265 ci. v8 dragracing down main street at 2:00am. I bought the 56 for $600.00 and had $500.00 dollars left over. I bought a 340 hp. built corvette engine for $150.00 and had what i am told was the best looking, fastest car in town. I loved owning different cars and would take a liking to a certain model and would search until i found one. I bought my first corvette at 19 yrs. old and have had one almost most of the time since and some are very rare today. forunately i have pictures of most of my cars starting with the 56 including 55-57 chevys, 409 and 427 impalas, 8- z28's, gto's. i am 62 years old and have four very nice rides in my shop now, one being a 2003 SS silverado that i set a landspeed record in oct. at the Maxton Monster mile. come on and let'ts get the list and stories rolling. Happy holidays, Garrell Patterson

Last edited by garrell.770; 12-20-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: left out words
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

My first car was 66 Ford Mustang GT with a HiPo 289. The car was originally my parents and my dad decided to get a Toyota for my mom. (she got ripped off). I ended up getting the car from my dad. Not to long later, the 289 blew so I dropped a 351W in the engine compartment. Pretty much raced it every chance I got. I grew up with racing nuts. Here's a picture of it..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My 66 GT.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	60941  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

what did you drive

I am sure glad you did not say your first car was a toyota or honda, looks like a nice gt, did you pay for the replacement motor and if so how? were getting some great pictures of your high school cars. keep them coming
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

First car 66 Rambler Rogue, only 500 made in Yellow and black

Second car, favorite was my 70 Hemi Road Runner.

66 Chevelle convertible

69 GTO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66 rogue.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	60974  

Chet
Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

My ride in High School (1966-1967) was a white '58 Chevy Impala which cost me $500. I didn't know it at the time but I apparently influenced Ron Howard because he drove one just like mine to High School in American Graffiti in 1973.

The only thing mine didn't have was the pin-striping.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous
Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I owned a number of rods and projects in high school but this was my daily driver. 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 with a 312 Thunderbird engine. I put in the tube grill, had it painted Honduras Maroon, black and white rolled and pleated interior and a "California Rake" resulting from chopping out a coil and a half.

I bought the car at age 15 in 1961 and paid $1,100 for it (less $500 for the '55 Plymouth I traded in on it.). Below is the Bill of Sale for the car. Note that it had to have my dad's name on it because I was not only under age...I didn't even have a driver's license yet.

I got a loan from the local bank (with dad's co-signature) and paid it off working on my dad's farm for the tidy sum of $20 a week.

And here I am with the '55 Plymouth I bought at age 14 and traded in on the '57.

And a couple of my high school hot rods.

I put a '53 Chrysler 331 Hemi in this 1952 Ford. The '52 cost me $20 and the Chrysler cost me $35 (a neighbor had totaled it in a rollover). Even with the JC Whitney motor mounts I had less than $200 in the car.

I started this glass T-Bucket in high school but didn't get it on the road until I was in college. Had a '55 Buick nailhead and a very rare Buick three speed trans.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
I am sure glad you did not say your first car was a toyota or honda, looks like a nice gt, did you pay for the replacement motor and if so how? were getting some great pictures of your high school cars. keep them coming
I got the engine by saving my $$ while working at McDonald's. Most of the friends I hung around were Ford guys including my friends dad who gave me a great deal on the 351W. We put the engine together ourselves to save some cash as well. It was a fun car. Actually, if I had a Toyota or Honda, I'd still put a 351W in it...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.