Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
this is something I really want/need to get in the habit of doing

even if you only do one little thing, you did something and it adds up pretty quickly

I wont do anything, unless I can really spend some time at it, and I need to change that way of thinking/attitude
Matt, when I started putting my car together (three years ago! ) I had a plan that was working great. I made a promise to myself that I would go out and work on it five minutes each day, yep, just five minutes. I promised myself that is all I need to do, just five minutes. I got a lot done in no time until I had to get into some other projects around the house and it all came to a halt.

I am at it again and it is working wonders! Now, some times, that is all I do, five minutes. I had a couple of days since I started back on it that I literally only worked five minutes. Literally simply arranged some bolts or parts or dug out some part from storage or something like that, just five minutes. But the next day that part was sitting there waiting and I was able to get a lot done because of that five minutes the day before. Other times I walk out there and you know how it is, you THINK you only have the energy for five minutes and next thing you know you have been at it a couple of hours!

It's working out great and I am proud of myself seeing the thing getting done. I have had some serious disappointments like it not starting and the rebuilt trans leaking like a sieve. But after a call to my brother he calmed me down and convinced me to just get the car back together and then get it to him and he would take care of that crap. But I was getting pretty ticked about the whole frigging thing because of that stuff that was back tracking, nothing ticks me off more than re-doing something and I had been all thru the trans, had the motor out and all that money to have it rebuilt and such. But I am back on track and will get it done for the summer.

Five minutes at a time.

Brian