Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

another "What Did I Work On This week" reply:

Started ripping apart the GTI golf which was originally presumed to have a bad head gasket. its actually a bad turbo thats leaking coolant into the intake hosing and watering down only one cylinder. I was originally waiting for a day we could get it on the lift but i broke down and just started doing it on the floor.

pulling a turbo off one of these engines thats already out of the car is enough work as it is, its even less fun on your back in a cold shop on an assembled car.

That car will be getting a k03/k04 hybrid turbo since we have 2 busted k03's that are only good for parts at this point

Also got to diagnose a 2002 A4 quattro. Customer bought it 2 weeks / 275 miles ago and it came back on a flatbed. Customer stated "the engine just .. stopped" while driving on the highway.

Starter wouldnt turn the engine over. A socket / ratchet on the crank wouldn't turn the engine over. Pulled the plugs and cylinder #2 ate one of its valves as an afternoon snack. The head of the valve has about an inch is stem still intact, and its tripoded between the head and the piston. Piston looks like it was beaten with the end of a pipe, and even the spark plug hole is peened smaller from all the squished metal.

Car has a 7mo service plan that will pay up to $1200 for the repairs, but i have zero faith in the warranty company. They seam to like to parrot the phrases "normal wear" and "electrical issue"

Ill probably wind up punching the entire company in the face to get the car covered.

Fun times

Last edited by lowROLLERchevy; 02-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.