Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
  #776 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
matts37chev's Avatar
matts37chev matts37chev is offline
& matts38chev

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shelton,Wa.
Posts: 2,675
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 186
Thanked 125 Times in 110 Posts
now that is a cool/handy anvil
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
My father worked for the railroad and it was common for anyone who wanted one to have an anvil made from old railroad track. He always had one, and he had one made for me also about 45 years ago. I've had it ever since and moved it from home to home.
I've always used it for anything I needed to have a good base to beat on, but it seems as I get older the anvil gets more finesse use, and not just the heavy beating. I shaped many of the parts on my project using it, and although it's not a "real" anvil, it does the job well. One edge is rounded from heavy use of boxcar wheels, and the other is pretty square. Works out well depending on what I need. The ends are cut to a point on one and squared on the other.
This was a picture I took when I was shaping the 16ga to fill in my front fenders for the hidden latches on my tilt frontend. That's the old anvil on it's side with metal C clamped to the base:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I got my front seats in, YA HOO. I started on the top, and got seriously stopped but still am happy with it. I cleaned out the lines and put the pump/motor and rams in. I filled it with brake fluid (I HATE messing with that stuff around nice paint) and the damn motor didn't work. I was getting power back there but it was locked up some how. "Some how" that I was soon to find out in a big way. I pulled apart an extra pump/motor that I had and there was a part so frozen in it that I couldn't get it out. So I went ahead and pulled the one on the car out, poured out the brake fluid (I HATE that stuff) and took her apart to find that I was damn lucky it didn't work, it was full of crusties big time! Holy cow what a mess, I am SOOOOOO lucky that the motor didn't work (well actually the pump was the problem) because it would have pumped that crap into my new rams!

So I had to break one of the parts on the spare motor to get it out, it was that frozen in. Then using parts from both made up a super nice pump/motor assembly. I still need to get a few seals tomorrow before I can put it back in. But now the good part, I don't have to use that damn brake fluid, I can put ATF in it now that it's all clean.

I was out there all darn day today and glad I had the time so I could finish the pump/motor after I found it frozen that would have bugged me to no end if I had been left hanging.

it never ends, with these big projects
Reply With Quote