Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
. I rather go thru ten bags of play sand in the back yard and a weekend of work.

Brian
You'd be surprised how much sandblasting that I have done with dried and screened beach sand from the shore of Lake Superior back when I lived in Michigan. If you use the play sand, make sure to use a GOOD dust mask. The fines in it are good for silicosis or brown lung. I built a pressure blaster back in '82 that I still use on occasion. You can pick one up from HF for about $90.oo. The pressure blaster is about ten times as fast and uses about one fifth the sand of a siphon blaster. Also get a full face shield and wear long sleeve shirt and TIG gloves and a welders cap. It is actually fun to see how fast you can clean up old parts. Ear muffs are also good to keep the sand out of your ears. I have probably blasted over a ton of sand over the years. 50lbs at a time.

Black Beauty sandblast media is great to work with. It cuts fast and has basically no dust. I was just on the phone and found it locally for just under $15.oo for a hundred pound bag. Well worth the price.

Last edited by adantessr; 04-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.