Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I spent the day trying to diagnose a dead cylinder on my recently finished gasser! Well they're never really finished, but with only 500 miles on the 327 SBC since it went back together, I really thought it would be awhile until I was back into it!
Checked all the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc., and all checked good. Got the compression tester out and #2 cylinder was zero compresion! Pulled the valve cover and immediately the problem was ovious; no pushrod on #2 intake. Rocker sitting sideways, and after a short search I found a length of pushrod about 1.5" long laying inside the aluminum head near #8 valves.
Time to take the intake off, and underneath I found the rest the pushrod, plus one lifter that had come aprt internally. Fortunately no damage to the outside of the lifter, or the new cam. It appears that either the pushrod broke at the guideplate, or the lifter came apart and damaged the pushrod.
Called Summit (where I bought the cam and lifters) and after a short explanation the tech said he thought the re-used pushrods were the culprit, but they would gladly send me a new lifter. He also encouraged me to replace all the pushrods with hardened pushrods, and would give me 20% off to encourage me to do so. Gave me another $5 off the intake gasket set, so they were only $9.95 after that.
I'm glad it was minor, but even happier with the way Summit handled it. They did the right thing by me, and I'm an even bigger fan of them now!