Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
Thanks guys, he as moved around using a walker already, it's amazing how different it is than just a few years ago when he would have spent months in traction!

One of the more interesting things that came of this was this little story. The day it happened and we were talking with the surgeon about how it would be fixed I told him "That sounds like what I do for a living, only with different material". He asked me a question that told me he was a vintage car nut. He asked me "Why don't body shops want to work on a vintage car and only do wrecks"? He proceeded to pull out his phone and show me a photo of his 48 Chevy pickup that HE restored! LOL We had a nice connection right there.

After the surgery I had the most interesting talk with him. He explained to me every step of the procedure, it was so damn interesting. I told him how funny it is that we both do a similar thing but at a point early on went in different directions. He proceeded to tell me how he restored his truck WHILE he was going to med school! And I mean, HE restored it, everything but the actual spraying of the paint. And he did it in a one car garage in his apartment building.

The funny thing about the conversation, the very odd thing that is, I got a very clear message from him that he admired what I was able to do all these years making a living! I am not kidding you, this guy was a hot rodder who ended up a surgeon, probably being pushed by his parents or something like that. But I could tell he really wished he had done what I did! When he was telling me about this procedure he had done on my sons leg he spoke to me as an equal, he was telling me this just as if I was discussing with someone how to chop a top on a 32 Ford. It was really interesting and along with a few other people there, this experience introduced me to few people with a few conversations that were treasures that I won't soon forget.

Brian