Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Can I assume your sequential system is connected to a Hilborn injection system, and controlled by an on board computer? Will it look pretty much like a stock Hilborn when done, but have the benefits of computerized injection?

Oooo, thanks for asking! Actually yes, it will be controlled by a Holley Dominator EFI, which has been on the Market since about 2009-Hilborn recently started using it, and the Dominator will control my 4L80E, all in one box-Hilborn has been pushing the FAST efi, and, while it is still a great piece, you would have to piggy-back a Trans controller-

As far as looks, it will look just like a regular stack injected Hilborn with the exception of two fuel rails (one on each side) for the Injectors-on a BBC they go on the outside of the Stacks-I am using the Holley DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) system, so I won't have a Distributor per se, it uses coil packs and a crank trigger and the Timing is set within the Computer specs, hence the need for a Cam synch if you want sequential, as the Computer needs to know when to fire the Injectors-

As far as benefits, they are many-a mechanical hilborn can be used on the street, but it will overfuel somewhere-whether you can clean it up down low or up high, but there will always be somewhere in the rpm range where it runs lean or rich-the efi fixes that. The Holley system has a great "self learn" feature, so you can simply download the supplied CD into your laptop (in this case), and Hilborn asked me about the parameters of my build-they will load a program based on those parameters so that you can get the engine started, then you can select the "self-learn" feature and it will change the AFR and Timing as you go up and down the rpm range-

When you have got it within 5% you can turn off the self-learn, and either leave it alone or fine tune it further-so are so many features to it that it's almost mind-boggling-three stages of nitrous, the ability to change line pressures in the Transmission, 24 programmable inputs, Datat Logging, 2mb of Storage, on and on-