Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Then after arguing with a guy the other day about what kind of car it was, I had the sign guy add something to the trunk lid. Amazing that someone would argue with the car's owner about what kind of car it was? But he wasn't the first to think it was an Anglia!
Many of us have had this happen, hell I heard George Barris telling Stan Betts referring to my brothers 22 Buick Roadster as "It's just a T coupe with the roof cut off". LOLOL

And my truck, oh my God when I first started driving my 48 Chevy pickup to rod runs that were pre-49 oh God they would not let me in! I am not kidding you because they knew of a 50 Chevy truck their uncle had they thought that ALL of those trucks were 50 I guess.

But it goes the other way too. My brother just the other day at a show told a fellow that his 38 Deluxe was actually a 39 Standard (it really was, my brother has owned a 39 Standard and knows all too well the difference) the guy said no, it's a 38 Deluxe and my brother didn't know what he was talking about. Ok, he left him thinking he had a 38 Deluxe. My brother tried to explain the difference but the dude didn't want any part of it.

Don't sweat it, it's good conversation. Find out some history on the two (if you don't know it, you probably do) and some differences in how they look and educate the person. If we just say "No you are wrong" they walk away thinking they are right. If you say "The Thames and the Anglia were made in the same factory along with the Perfect, they are very similar but xxx and yyy is different". Maybe just maybe they would walk away educated instead of trying to educate. You could put THAMES on the side and NOT AN ANGLIA in foot high letters and there are still people who wouldn't get it.

Brian