Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Hey Pugs; Three questions

How did you finish the weld so nicely where you added the reinforcement band?

What method did you use to split the brake line?

How are you going to attach the brake line to the reinforcement band?

Every time you post a progress report, I am in aahh of what you are doing.

John L
Thanks John.

The key to getting a good finish on butt weld panels is simply to make sure the panels are dead flush before welding them up. I add filler rod so its higher than the surrounding metal and then grind it down flush. If it caves in from welding, I knock it up with a hammer on the end grain of a 2x4 to get it crowned up for grinding. After grinding, it can be brought back down level and stretched as required.

I slit the line using a 4-1/2" zip cut disc. I buy the thinnest ones I can find. I just stuck the line in the vice and only cut the part that was sticking out of the vice of coarse.

Attaching the line is a problem. I thought about using s/s line to help with rust bleeding out and down the rim. The only problem is that sliding the line onto the rim will scrape off the epoxy primer in spots and may still lead to bleeding rust. May have to stick to plan A and weld a s/s or steel rod on top of the rim.