Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#1,802 ·
As long as I clean up and put away before I leave it will stay neat. The first time I quit and leave everything lying it will go to **** in a hand basket. There is no middle ground.

John L
Yep, you are very right. If I treat it like I do my tool box at work, it stays clean. My tool box is nut job organized and neat. But I have never been able to keep that up at home.

Brian

#1,805 ·
One of these days im going to turn my phone off and stay home just to get some of my own stuff done
You know what, years ago I made up my mind to never do side work again, and I haven't. It didn't get me rich, all it did was take away my private time, my time with my family, with my own projects. I wish I could have done my brothers truck (it was our dads) but I couldn't, I just couldn't do it again.

It was the best decision I ever made.

Brian

#1,807 ·
You know what, years ago I made up my mind to never do side work again, and I haven't. It didn't get me rich, all it did was take away my private time, my time with my family, with my own projects. I wish I could have done my brothers truck (it was our dads) but I couldn't, I just couldn't do it again.

It was the best decision I ever made.

Brian
The problem is not that its side work, it is my work and when it slows down there is alway something on the house that needs attention, maintenance on the work truck and i know its just excuses i just need to get off my but and heck in the time i wrote this i could at least started sanding the car

#1,808 ·
The problem is not that its side work, it is my work and when it slows down there is alway something on the house that needs attention, maintenance on the work truck and i know its just excuses i just need to get off my but and heck in the time i wrote this i could at least started sanding the car
Admitting you have a problem is the first step............

"I am Monster and I'm not enough of a Hotrodder-aholic"

#1,810 ·
Can you put in that 5 minutes? It does wonders!

Brian
One of these days im going to turn my phone off and stay home just to get some of my own stuff done

I know this is a copy of an old post but it seems applicable.

I think it is time I teach everyone the Lynn Yearwood theory of street rod fabrication. Lynn has been a friend of mine for years. One day he told me he went to the garage every day after work. Maybe he could only stay for 10 minutes but he would go anyway. As Lynn explained, "Even if I don't do anything but put in 2 bolts a day that is 14 a week, 62 a month and 742 a year. I can build any car in 2 years."

Hence, the Lynn Yearwood theory of street rod fabrication. :thumbup:

John L

#1,811 ·
Yep, it has been working miracles for me! I have just about finished up my Gran Sport since the beginning of the year with this philosophy.

Today the pump looks clean! WHOO HOO, of course I am saving real celebration for a few more days. I did put the top down and removed the mouldings around the top on the quarters that I had neglected to put the clips on! (insert rolling eyes smilie) I didn't find the clips when I put the mouldings on back months ago and figured it didn't use any as it "sort of" held on nice. But after MUCH fight out there this morning (what a STUPID design!) the moulding is in properly and I am thrilled.

Now for a walk with the family along the SF bay and keep an eye on that pump later tonight.

Brian

#1,812 ·
Having spare parts in the garage sure is nice. In wanting to do something instead of just sitting around waiting for the top pump to leak I decided to look into the dash light problem (they weren't lighting) so I changed the fuse and that sort of thing but the wiggling of the knob seemed to do something so I though crap, got to get a new switch. Wait a minute, didn't I have an NOS one I bought from the dealer 20 years ago, yep, had it and yep, problem solved, the dash lights work. :D

Brian

#1,813 ·
Having spare parts in the garage sure is nice. In wanting to do something instead of just sitting around waiting for the top pump to leak I decided to look into the dash light problem (they weren't lighting) so I changed the fuse and that sort of thing but the wiggling of the knob seemed to do something so I though crap, got to get a new switch. Wait a minute, didn't I have an NOS one I bought from the dealer 20 years ago, yep, had it and yep, problem solved, the dash lights work. :D

Brian
Glad to hear your getting somewhere.
I would of found that switch after I bought another. :smash:

#1,820 ·
I signed up for Metalmeet.com a long time ago but have not frequented it in months and months. It seemed there was quite a bit of turmoil and fragil egos. I enjoy the metal working but limit it pretty much to doing what I have to do get a rusty panel repaire/replaced. I will never attempt to do the kind of work you are doing. This is about the limit to what I do.

The panels were so rough I wheeled new ones.

Old inner deck lid

Biginning of new deck lid

Completed deck lid

You know the old saying. Jack of all trades, master of none :)