Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#1,821 ·
I signed up for Metalmeet.com a long time ago but have not frequented it in months and months. It seemed there was quite a bit of turmoil and fragil egos. I enjoy the metal working but limit it pretty much to doing what I have to do get a rusty panel repaire/replaced. I will never attempt to do the kind of work you are doing. This is about the limit to what I do.

You know the old saying. Jack of all trades, master of none :)

Really nice job on the deck lid.

Looks great.:thumbup:

#1,822 ·
Had some good luck out in the garage this morning.

The jig helped to tack the new plate and only one "Frankenstein" cut was required.

Attachments

#1,823 ·
I love what you are doing there Pugsy, that's a garage I would love to stop by and check out. :thumbup:

I ran out to the garage this morning before taking off for work to check my pump/motor and not a single sign of leakage! WHOO HOOO, two days and no leaks, I think it may actually be fixed. Tonight I am going to check the rear brakes over, on my way to getting it fired up and on the road. :D

Brian

#1,825 ·
You talking top motor or the fire breathing 401? Yes to both, I run the top motor a number of times during my leak testing. The 401 yes I fired that up a while ago, all seems fine. The only real problem is it appears the rebuilt trans is leaking (rebuilt 10 years ago! :drunk:) and I am not sure how that will go. As I remember it looked like it was leaking from EVERYWHERE, kinda like my top pump! Great, but I won't be doing what I did with this top, I will go right to the tranny shop and have them fix it, warranty great, but if I have to pay for it, so be it.

Brian

#1,826 ·
Ran the top up and down a few times tonight and it's still leak free! WHOOO HOOOO. I didn't get to the brakes being I had to do a little work on my fence. :)

Brian

#1,828 ·
You talking top motor or the fire breathing 401? Yes to both, I run the top motor a number of times during my leak testing. The 401 yes I fired that up a while ago, all seems fine. The only real problem is it appears the rebuilt trans is leaking (rebuilt 10 years ago! :drunk:) and I am not sure how that will go. As I remember it looked like it was leaking from EVERYWHERE, kinda like my top pump! Great, but I won't be doing what I did with this top, I will go right to the tranny shop and have them fix it, warranty great, but if I have to pay for it, so be it.

Brian
The top motor and pump of coarse. Good to hear its not leaking................yet. Oops, sorry, that's my kind of luck.

Hopefully, some of your tranny seals stop leaking after you run it a bit. If its leaking as many places as you say, they'll have to pull it to fix em all. :pain:

#1,830 ·
Not thinking that modern heater cores are made from aluminum instead of brass, I cleaned the core on my 98 C-1500 today with muriatic acid . :nono: :eek: :evil: :spank: :smash: . No wonder there was so much smoke and heat coming out of the hoses. It appears I melted down the core. :rolleyes: . Tomorrow I replace the heater core. :thumbup:

#1,831 ·
Not thinking that modern heater cores are made from aluminum instead of brass, I cleaned the core on my 98 C-1500 today with muriatic acid . :nono: :eek: :evil: :spank: :smash: . No wonder there was so much smoke and heat coming out of the hoses. It appears I melted down the core. :rolleyes: . Tomorrow I replace the heater core. :thumbup:
Ouch........:pain:

Changing heater cores is a job that makes me cringe everytime. Can'ts stands it.

#1,832 ·
Ouch........:pain:

Changing heater cores is a job that makes me cringe everytime. Can'ts stands it.
Gott'er done. :D The core wasn't destroyed as near bad as I thought it would be. Only place that was totally destroyed was right at the outlet nipple. One side gone. And the whole job only took 3-1/2 hrs., and that was with removing the step plates to get all the coolant out of the carpet. Good ole wet dry shop vac worked wonders, then turned the heater on high while I put away all the toys. Nice heat now. Didn't have any before. Mechanic's mirror worked wonders on finding all those little bolts also. :thumbup:

#1,834 ·
Well, I have spent 3 hours doing a thirty minute job. Got careless and set the distributor with digital ohmmeter and set it with points closing instead of breaking. Of course I ended up with the distributor gear one tooth off, then the rotor splitting 2 contacts in the cap. Don't know why I am admitting my ignorance but at least it is done. What hurts is I know better. I do have to set the dwell and time it still but she is running. Maybe that Chevy distributor is fighting going into that ford flathead engine. ;)

John L

#1,836 ·
WHOOOO HOOOO, double WHOOOO HOOOO!

I got the top pump all in and buttoned up, the rear seat in, I couldn't wait to do anything else, I HAD to fire it up and take it for a drive!

I haven't driven it in 10-12 years and I have to tell you a flood of memories came back to me. Driving it around SF and over the GoldenGate when my oldest kids were just little, my first dates with my wife, it was a blast!

First moving under it's own power.

First time getting gas (last time it was about $1.50 a gallon)

First time with top down photo out at the parking lot of my High School! Where right now I am headed for a 40th birthday of the school celebration (I was there the second year).

Did I say WHOOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

#1,840 ·
I love it Pugsy, you're fabbing fab tools. :D

Yeah it was a blast, now out to the garage to see if the tranny fluid is all over the garage floor. :rolleyes: I think I'll wash it, it's filthy but I didn't want to jinx it by washing before I drove it. :D

Brian