Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,961 ·
I remember painting a 70ish Firebird complete in my garage, SS enamel. I taped the the door to the kitchen all the way around, sealing it. And of course my family was to be gone when I did the painting. The next day I could see a dusty overspray around the house! We are talking on the dishes in the cupboards! Lacquer didn't seem to be a big deal as far as the overspray but that SS enamel, holy cow it goes places.

Brian
:DLOL SO I am not the only one ,mine was in basement,, Hint turn off attic fan, even if doors are taped .

#2,962 ·
should have sprayed Imron:D

Looks like tonight I'll take it easy and look for the e brake parts from numerous boxes-joy! Then I might take off the rear decklid hinges/springs before I do my second round of zero rust. Why paint the hinges on the car when it's nearly impossible to paint the springs? I think it would look much nicer with a nicely painted hinge on top of a nicely painted wheel house instead of some dry spray crap cause I was too lazy to take off the hinges.

#2,963 ·
Finished up the mounts for my ladder bars, and got them welded into the car. Also finished stripping the heater and all the firewall insulation. Then I installed my extra support plates on the inside the firewall to back the frame braces.
My fenderwell headers finally came in, so tomorrow I'll pick them up and pit them on my mockup engine. Then I can do the mockup of the Mazda truck steering box, and maybe fab up mounts for it.

#2,964 ·
My fenderwell headers finally came in, and I got them mounted to my homemade mockup engine today. Afraid they are too close to the tires with the engine against the firewall. These are Tri 5 BBC headers, and the Falcon needs more room, so I got out the sawzall and chopped the firewall out.
After setting the engine back 2.5" into the firewall I have plenty of clearance, and it will also help up front with radiator clearance for the 454 Chevy.

The fenderwell headers do have a strange issue. The pass. side is wider than the driver's side by 1.5"!! Plenty of fender clearance on the driver's side, but very close to the pass. side lower fender drop around the collector. I'll have to trim the return on the wheelwell opening to make sure it doesn't hit.

After clearing the mockup out, I struck up the welder and finished fabricating the suspension mounts. Next step is to actually hang the 454 in and make sure I have clearance for maintenance, and repairs without having to pull the engine.

#2,965 ·
My fenderwell headers finally came in, and I got them mounted to my homemade mockup engine today. Afraid they are too close to the tires with the engine against the firewall. These are Tri 5 BBC headers, and the Falcon needs more room, so I got out the sawzall and chopped the firewall out.
After setting the engine back 2.5" into the firewall I have plenty of clearance, and it will also help up front with radiator clearance for the 454 Chevy.

The fenderwell headers do have a strange issue. The pass. side is wider than the driver's side by 1.5"!! Plenty of fender clearance on the driver's side, but very close to the pass. side lower fender drop around the collector. I'll have to trim the return on the wheelwell opening to make sure it doesn't hit.

After clearing the mockup out, I struck up the welder and finished fabricating the suspension mounts. Next step is to actually hang the 454 in and make sure I have clearance for maintenance, and repairs without having to pull the engine.
That 2-1/2 " setback will also help with weight transfer to the rear wheels. :thumbup:

#2,967 ·

AWESOME stuff right there folks awesome stuff!

Brian

#2,969 ·
All you need is weight distribution. My brother had a 59 Chevy Wagon back in the early seventies, it was raised a foot over stock. It had leaf springs on the rear with the axle under the springs and raise spindles on the front. Our dad got it for him as it was a trade in at the dealership he worked, he got it for $750 and it was a darn nice car, all new paint inside and out, it was nice. Anyway, he use to be able to pull the front tires off the ground with a few throttle pumps! People would crap when he opened the hood to the stock 283 with a two barrel and three speed with overdrive. :D

Brian

#2,970 ·
Nothing exciting there (still working on the drywall at my sister in laws place) but something hit me today at work, I need to put my Bermuda bell in the Rambler. I bought this many years ago for the truck and it was fun, just a little ding dong like sound. They were popular in the 30's and up as a foot operated device that you bolted to your floor on the underside and you hit this pedal that was going thru the floor that would ring the bell. Mine is electric and I could have sworn it didn't work. So tonight I unscrewed it off the ceiling of the garage where it has been hanging and hooked it up to a battery and DING DONG, it works like a charm. I need to pick up a horn button (I know I had one but can't find it, natch).

Brian

#2,972 ·
That would be cool in the driveway. :D I didn't mention why I wanted to put it in the Rambler. The thing is so quiet when I am driving near people they don't hear it, I hate to honk the horn so this will be perfect.

Brian

#2,974 ·
All you need is weight distribution. My brother had a 59 Chevy Wagon back in the early seventies, it was raised a foot over stock. It had leaf springs on the rear with the axle under the springs and raise spindles on the front. Our dad got it for him as it was a trade in at the dealership he worked, he got it for $750 and it was a darn nice car, all new paint inside and out, it was nice. Anyway, he use to be able to pull the front tires off the ground with a few throttle pumps! People would crap when he opened the hood to the stock 283 with a two barrel and three speed with overdrive. :D

Brian
Back in '69, a friend of a friend had a '67 Chev pickup with a 6 cyl. and bad front shocks. About the third pump of the gas, would bring the front wheels at least 6 inches off of the ground. I know, because I witnessed it first hand

. A set of 90/10 front shocks in that Falcon should bring those front wheels right up. :D

#2,975 ·
Speaking of bells - I must be a real ding-a-ling for forgetting - somewhere I have one of those old service station bell things that does the "ding-ding" when you drive over the hose. I just have to find it and then get a length of the hose needed to make it all work.
And then a fuel primer bulb, like you would use for a boat motor ought to make it work. :thumbup: