Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Repro parts are a LAST RESORT for me. I did a 65 Fastback once where I bought a repro fender for it, the original was hammered bad. Anyway so I was fitting it and I am not making this up, right then a beat up old truck with a guy who picks up metal around down to go sell it as scrap goes driving by my back door and I see a Mustang fender on top of the pile! I went out there and bought this fender from him for $20 and used it, returning the repro! NO KIDDING! LOLOL

On that same car I put a repro hood, I hated that damn hood, the body lines faded away at the rear to almost nothing where it met the lines on the cowl, it looked like crap. It was all I had so I used it. About two years later the car came back in for some paint and body work and the hood was going to be painted. I took the hood off went to the Mustang place and traded it for a decent original. I spent a little filler time on the original hood and painted it and put it on. I feel much better when I see that car around town now (it's her daily driver).

I LOATH reproduction parts. If you go searching it is amazing how much good stuff is still out there, heck even NOS. It still shows up now and again, you need patience but good original will show up at a decent price on most parts. There are some you have no choice but most will show up if you give it some time.

Brian